Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 AM

689 posts, read 2,061,859 times

Advertisements

I've been using a Mac All-in-One since September - my first Mac. I like it but I'm not happy with the tiny keyboard. I'm an old broad - grew up with a typewriter and big computer keyboards.

I looked at the Apple site, so I know they make a bigger keyboard in the sense that it has a number key section - but that's not what I'm asking about. I went from a large ergo keyboard on my PC, to this little thing. The keys are too short and my fingernails hit the keyboard (I don't have longer fingernails). I make a lot more typing errors.

Is there any alternative for me, or do I just need to shut up and get with the modern world? Be gentle, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,061,225 times
Any USB keyboard will work right out of the box with a Mac.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Wow! I Googled "USB keyboard" for more info and got a site that sells them...and also sells the adapter that I'd need to connect it. We had one of those in the box of "assorted random electronic/electrical cables that we've kept but didn't know what to do with."

And now I'm typing on my old ergo board.

See how easy it is to make an old broad happy.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

I'm still happily using the old Windows keyboard but can't figure out how to change the volume without going to the System Preferences. I tried combinations of function keys and the various keys on either side of the space bar, to no avail. Help. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,169,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I'm not sure that a Windows keyboard has an equivalent for the "Command" key.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,061,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
They keys in the same location will work. I don't have a PC keyboard handy, but I believe the Window logo key would be equivalent to the Command key.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,997,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I have a Mac keyboard on one of my PCs at home, and the Apple command key works like the Windows command key ... so perhaps it works the other way around too.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,504,131 times
Companies like Logitech and Kensington make keyboards with the appropriate labels on the keys for either platform.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,055,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I've been using a Mac All-in-One since September - my first Mac. I like it but I'm not happy with the tiny keyboard. I'm an old broad - grew up with a typewriter and big computer keyboards.

I looked at the Apple site, so I know they make a bigger keyboard in the sense that it has a number key section - but that's not what I'm asking about. I went from a large ergo keyboard on my PC, to this little thing. The keys are too short and my fingernails hit the keyboard (I don't have longer fingernails). I make a lot more typing errors.

Is there any alternative for me, or do I just need to shut up and get with the modern world? Be gentle, please.

Here ya go.

Ergonomic Keyboard Mac Designed

Ergonomic Keyboard Mac - Looking for an computer ergonomic keyboard for Mac?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,730,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I'm still happily using the old Windows keyboard but can't figure out how to change the volume without going to the System Preferences. I tried combinations of function keys and the various keys on either side of the space bar, to no avail. Help. Thanks.

The volume control should be on the menu bar on the top right. Its a speaker icon, and you can change the volume there. If you don't see it, go to System Preferences, Sound, and click the option to show it.

If you want to do it from the keyboard, yes a Mac keyboard has mapped keys, not sure about aftermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers