Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
mensaguy - They do not, but my hard drive last time crashed after two and a half years. It has been two years since I got my second one.
I think it was NHDave that once said that a hard drive may last anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times
Oh, I did not know that. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
(There is no computer and technology forum, so I guess I will post this in here)

I bought a computer, one of the best HP in 2007. I got 250GB of Hard Drive and 1024MB of Memory. For years, google earth worked fine. Then, when google earth updated itself to 3D images, the problems began. Everything else worked fine on google earth but the 3D images, especially of New York City. My brother told me that it was due to the fact that there was so much data is needed to upload the 3D images, that even my fast computer with lots of memory is outdated. Is that true or am I having some other technical issue? I do not know that much about the technicalities of computers so that is why I am asking. Everything else on my computer works fine enough, it is just the 3d images of google earth are not coming up way too slowly, unlike my brother's more recent PC. What do you think based on what I am able to tell you?

Yeah, Google Earth is fricken incredible. But that program sucks a lot of memory/processor power from your computer. I have a laptop with 4 gigs of ram and two readyboost drives of 4 gigs each and my computer will not load some of the images very quick. I also think that if you try and zoom in too close, such as a street view, it just overloads your computer

Sometimes I think that street view is not available, that is why it will not load the images properly, sorta like the images get stuck.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
What is your download rate?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,070 times
I need help because I am not tech savy, When I go to ge I type in the address I want, and I see the address but I want to see side streets and restaurants and hotels near by. I have been able to get this info but it was out of dumb luck. Are there special icons I should be clicking on to. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
I need help because I am not tech savy, When I go to ge I type in the address I want, and I see the address but I want to see side streets and restaurants and hotels near by. I have been able to get this info but it was out of dumb luck. Are there special icons I should be clicking on to. Thanks for any help you can give me.

YUP. If you go to the bottom left of the GE settings area(very left side of your screen) you can select different thing to be highlighted on the actual map area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers