Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

I've had a Maxtor external hard drive for about 3 years backing up all our data. Does anyone have any idea how long these things last? Given the choice, would you buy another external hard drive or switch over to an online backup service like Mozy or Carbonite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,058,225 times
My last one lasted about 3 years, the bridge electronics died, but the drive still works (albeit with SMART errors). My current one I've had for 8 months and is going strong. I have a 20 MB SCSI external that has lasted almost 25 years.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I've had a Maxtor external hard drive for about 3 years backing up all our data. Does anyone have any idea how long these things last? Given the choice, would you buy another external hard drive or switch over to an online backup service like Mozy or Carbonite?
Buy another external hard drive. They are so cheap. Using Moore's Law, you should be able to buy a hard drive about three or four times larger than the one you had for the same price.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Does the drive show any signs of failing? Are you outgrowing it? Don't replace it until it warrants replacement. I recommend online backups in addition to local backups. Neither is a good replacement for the other.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Disk drives are like any other mechanical device, could crap out at any time.........

Your system gets corrupted in an electrical storm and your ISP is down as well...

You reinstall the OS and then what? Twiddle your thumbs until your ISP comes back online which could be a few days?

You are trusting your data to a faceless organization that could possibly disappear overnight?

I backup to two separate external disks, one backup I keep here at the house the other disk over at my son's house.

An external 1.5 TB disk drive costs under $70.00..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148337

One other thing to consider, ISP's are starting to implement Caps and depending on how much you back up per month an
on-line backup solution could cost a pretty penny...

Last edited by plwhit; 06-04-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
I back up to a second internal drive once a week (I use scheduling software) and Carbonite. Online Backup Software | Carbonite I signed up for three years and got an excellent price per year. I did have to do a recovery for a client from them and called for support because it was my first (and so far only) time doing it. There was no wait time for a tech and they walked me through it. As it turned out doing a recovery really is a piece of cake. On the down side the Internet was slower than all get out because some jackasses decided to do a DoS attack (I think it was against Intel) in the middle of it so it took a lot longer than it normally would.

Referencing the doom and gloom post above I would say that if your ISP goes out when there are storms in your area then you need a new provider. If your system gets corrupted during an electrical storm you should try using a UPS for your components - a good UPS. And companies like Carbonite and Mozy aren't going to "crap out at any time".

Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM

OP. I apologize. I hate when I end up in the middle of a hijack on a thread. Sometimes things get carried away...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ehhh, that's a barebones internal drive. The only way it can hold data externally, is if you put a book on top of it.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Here's a whole passle of those 1TB and bigger...

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, External Hard Drives, 1TB and higher

Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Ehhh, that's a barebones internal drive. The only way it can hold data externally, is if you put a book on top of it.
Sorry, wrong link...

WD Elements Desktop 1.5 TB External hard drive - 480 Mbps

$70 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers