Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

In XP, in Control Panel > Network, (I have DSL) it lists LAN and 1394 Adapter. I've read that the 1394 here has nothing to do with the LAN at all. It has to do with Firewire (1394) devices like video cameras.

Why did Microsoft decide to list 1394 here?

(It doesn't happen in Vista.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why did Microsoft decide to list 1394 here?
Probably because 1394 (FireWire) actually can be used for networking, though it isn't very common.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM

By the way, today when we booted, there were briefly TWO network icons in the system tray! But then it went back to one, which is normal. I didn't even have time to hover over them to see a tooltip. It's only happened once in all these weeks. The thing is working normally.

The Lan is the only network device that is checked to show the network icon in the tray.

I've noticed that Windows system tray icons don't always behave the same way, especially when you start up.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 12,808 times
Highly recommend you move up to Windows 7. XP is deprecated and while it may "work", 7 is so much better and offers better support for about everything, including networking. Recommend a full reinstall over an upgrade, because even if you do an upgrade, which is not recommended, you lose all of your installed software, but keep your data. You don't want to incur any possibility of "bit rot" -- junk registry entries and other detritus that builds up over time in Windows systems. A virgin install is always the best way to go. If your computer is capable of running Windows 7, I would do it. You can run the Windows Upgrade Advisor, a free tool, to see if your computer is capable of running 7.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1936 View Post
Highly recommend you move up to Windows 7.
I know it's always better to upgrade but I can't right now.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
I have seen this regularly in older XP pcs.
I just disable 1394 Adapter in Control Panel > Network Connections.
That makes for less confusion.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
By the way, today when we booted, there were briefly TWO network icons in the system tray! But then it went back to one, which is normal. I didn't even have time to hover over them to see a tooltip. It's only happened once in all these weeks. The thing is working normally.

The Lan is the only network device that is checked to show the network icon in the tray.

I've noticed that Windows system tray icons don't always behave the same way, especially when you start up.
The thing is working normally.

The problem is?

If XP is working don't move to 7 unless you have a reason to. Just doing it for the sake of doing it is not a good reason.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1936 View Post
Highly recommend you move up to Windows 7. XP is deprecated and while it may "work", 7 is so much better and offers better support for about everything
Windows XP is going to be supported until April, 2014. The XP UI is much faster than Win7, even with all the eye candy in 7 turned off. Win7 is a resource hog, plain and simple.

There are also compatibility issues - not everything will run on 7, and if you need an app that won't run on 7, then you need that app. Don't even mention "XP mode" - it's a joke. Sure, most things may run under it, but the performance hit is insane.

If Win7 was so great, then businesses would have determined that it would be worth the money to upgrade their XP machines, but they haven't.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. XP will be supported for almost three more years - there's no reason to suggest that the OP move to Win7, especially considering that they're not even having an actual problem with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers