Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,287,129 times

Advertisements

When I turn on my PC each morning, the first thing I do is run CCleaner and then I click on Microsort Security Essential and update it. Next I update Malwarebytes.

For the past few days, after I have done all the above and then start using the PC, after a short time ...I am warned my Security may be in danger. The little MSE Castle in my bottom tool bar has turned Orange instead of the safe Green color.
So I click on it and update again.... (even though I just updated it earlier) it still stays orange and says I may be in danger that I need to do a Scan. I Scan and it never finds any Threats. I even do the "Full" Scan and no threats are found.
Then I Scan with Malwarebytes and it doesn't find anything either...

After the Scan every thing seems back to normal again (little MSSE castle is back to Green) for a little while and then later it happens again.

It is beginning to be a PIA to be in the middle of something and have to stop to update and scan over and over, and yet I don't dare ignore it when it turns Orange and warns me....
Does anyone know what could be happening here... there doesn't seem to be any other problems.
I've never had that happen before ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Maybe Ccleaner is clearing data that MSE creates to tell it your ok??

I dont know much about it.......

Old 01-28-2012, 04:15 PM

78 posts, read 377,011 times
If you previously had any other kind of antivirus program installed, make sure to uninstall and run the program uninstaller that you can find on google. Here is the list of uninstallers:
Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase

Once you removed any possbile old antivirus programs, reinstall MSSE and everything should be normal

I had a similar problem like this when i switched from avast to security essentials. I ran the avast uninstaller from add/remove programs and it was still causing conflicts with security essentials. After i download and ran the avast uninstaller everything was perfect

Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Maybe Ccleaner is clearing data that MSE creates to tell it your ok??

I dont know much about it.......
Then don't give advise

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,225 times
Is the real-time scanner on MSE being disabled? Check the "settings > Real-time protection."

I always have problems with rootkits and work causing otherwise "weird" issues, particuarlly with things like windows updates, antivirus programs, etc.

You can try running something like Kaspersky Lab's TDSS Killer. It takes only a couple of seconds to run, and is usually pretty effective.

You can always uninstall and reinstall MSE as well. It could potentially be a corrupt definition file or related.

Your description is a little vague. I'm going to look and see if MSE has an error log. I do know it writes to the system logs, but I don't know if it has its own.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Is the real-time scanner on MSE being disabled? Check the "settings > Real-time protection."
I just looked at "settings > Real-time protection"
There is a check in all of the boxes.
Is that the way it is supposed to be or is that what may be causing the problem ?
Although it seems that would be the best protection. However, when I run the Scan it always says "no threats were found".
If it ever actually found something ..every now and then, I would see the reason and be glad that it found it before it was too late.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I just looked at "settings > Real-time protection"
There is a check in all of the boxes.
Is that the way it is supposed to be or is that what may be causing the problem ?
Although it seems that would be the best protection. However, when I run the Scan it always says "no threats were found".
If it ever actually found something ..every now and then, I would see the reason and be glad that it found it before it was too late.
Check the error logs using Event viewer, see if you find anything related to Microsoft Security Essentials. Let us know what you find.

Start > Right-click Computer or My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer (left side) > Windows Logs > System

Alternatively, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Use the Add\Remove Programs icon in the control panel (for Windows XP) or the Programs and Features icon (for Vista\7). If that doesn't uninstall the software, use the OneCare Cleanup tool. If that doesn't work, you can use the steps outlined in Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

Reinstall using the installer from Microsoft's website.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,727,166 times
Quote:

After the Scan every thing seems back to normal again (little MSSE castle is back to Green) for a little while and then later it happens again.
I didn't read the whole thread but saw this on a customers PC a couple weeks ago and rechecked it yesterday.

It was set to run a scheduled scan on Sunday at 2 am.
The pc was off so it didn't run the scan.

I turned off the scheduled scan and when I rechecked it yesterday there had not been any problems.

Then I convinced the customer to switch to the free version of Avast which I prefer.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Check the error logs using Event viewer, see if you find anything related to Microsoft Security Essentials. Let us know what you find.

Start > Right-click Computer or My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer (left side) > Windows Logs > System
I did the Right Click on My Computer > Manage >
And I see "Event Viewer" on the left side..... Then I see the following:
Application
Internet Explorer
Security
System
I don't see "Windows Logs"
I clicked on "System"
I see a long list that have an i in Blue circles and say "Information".
There are some Red circles with an X that say "Error" (most say the source is "Dhcp" or "Service Control Manager")
There's also a few Yellow Triangles that say "Warning" the source is "Tcip" and "W32Time" and one is "Print"
Of course this is all greek to me

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I did the Right Click on My Computer > Manage >
And I see "Event Viewer" on the left side..... Then I see the following:
Application
Internet Explorer
Security
System
I don't see "Windows Logs"
I clicked on "System"
I see a long list that have an i in Blue circles and say "Information".
There are some Red circles with an X that say "Error" (most say the source is "Dhcp" or "Service Control Manager")
There's also a few Yellow Triangles that say "Warning" the source is "Tcip" and "W32Time" and one is "Print"
Of course this is all greek to me

Sounds like you're using Windows XP. Vista and 7 have the separate "Windows Logs" directory. Check the Error messages for ones related to Microsoft Security Essentials. If MSE is logging its errors to the windows logs, you shouldn't have to look far. When you click on one of the error logs, you'll see in the bottom of the screen a "general" tab and a description about the error reported. Look through a few and see if there is anything related to Microsoft Security Essentials. If you find one, post it.

In the meantime, try reinstalling MSE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers