Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Has anyone tried to upgrade either to use USB 3.0?

My currently less than three month old Toshiba NB has no card slot to plug one in and my currently less then three month old HP desktop has no extra SATA power connections, but has plenty of data connections. What makes things worse is that the USB 3.0 card for the desktop came with a molex connector on it. And thus I had to order online a molex to sata adapter and a sata 1-2 splitter.

And why am I going through all this? Because someone told one my larger clients it would easier/faster to send field data out on 3.0 devices then for me to pull the data off the server myself (and yes I know these devices are downgradable to 2.0).

And people wonder why I travel with a IPad and use the cloud for storage.
I added a PCI-e USB 3.0 card to my old desktop. USB 3.0 is a lot faster than USB 2.0. The molex power connector on the card is because USB 3.0 can supply more power to each port than USB 2.0 could and I guess they can't get it from the PCI-e bus. If an iPad with all your data stored in the cloud is fast enough for you OK, but for anyone with lots of data to move around, USB 3.0 is a big improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The molex power connector on the card is because USB 3.0 can supply more power to each port than USB 2.0 could and I guess they can't get it from the PCI-e bus.
That's not the reason for the Molex connector. You can draw 75w from the PCI bus. The current USB 3.0 spec only allows for less than five watts of power to be delivered. The spec that allows for much more power than that isn't finalized, nor is there compliant hardware being sold yet.

The reason for the Molex is to supply +5V to the card. The PCIe bus only supplies +3.3V and +12V. You'd have to have a voltage regulator on the card to create the +5V if an external +5V source wasn't available.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
The reason for the Molex is to supply +5V to the card.
I completely understand the need to add more internal power so external devices don't need to be self powered. But why a molex rather a sata power connector when there is nothing in today's desktops that use the molex anymore?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I completely understand the need to add more internal power so external devices don't need to be self powered. But why a molex rather a sata power connector when there is nothing in today's desktops that use the molex anymore?
Standard power supplies still have them though. Hell, the power supplies I use still have a floppy power connector.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Standard power supplies still have them though. Hell, the power supplies I use still have a floppy power connector.
I still have a 3 1/2" floppy! Hell, I still have a 5 1/4" floppy drive!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
To be backward compatible with old PATA devices is understandable. But it still doesn't explain why a molex connection is on new technology. I've now hit this issue a second time. I ordered a convertor to allow me to install a 2.5 SATA HDD in a 3.5 SATA slot. It came with a SATA data connection change, but again it came with a molex power connector instead of a SATA power connector. I could understand it if I were still using PATA drives. But..........

I'm passed the age of the need to build computers. I don't game anymore. LAN parties are a thing of the past. And I'm really happy that a name manufacturer got smart enough to put in a HDMI and WIFI in a sub-$500 desktop.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I still have a 3 1/2" floppy! Hell, I still have a 5 1/4" floppy drive!
Ahhh, but do you have a 8" floppy drive is the question...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yeah but it's not a floppy.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit
Ahhh, The Trash 80 days......

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I suggested in another thread that hardly anyone needs a desktop computer anymore.

I was soundly disagreed with. In order to not sidetrack that thread I started this one.

Reasons other folks said I was wrong:
  • People should only buy laptops if they beed mobile computing
I don't buy that. I have been recommending laptops to family and friends for over 6 years now. To a person: every single one that I have talked into getting a laptop when at least half of them were set on a desktop: thanked me later.
Aunt Margie? She looks up recipes on her laptop and then takes the laptop into the kitchen with her so can view it right there. She doesn't have to go sit in the den and waste paper printing a recipe she is only going to use once.

Cousin Mary: Probably the most adamant the she did not need a laptop. Loves the convenience. She slides her laptop under the couch when she isn't using it. Any time she wants to look something up real quick? Slide it out. Open. Google. Close. Back under the couch. No walking into the den. Sit down. Fire up computer.
  • You can't upgrade laptops
So what. Ask yourself, and honestly answer: what is the #1 thing people upgrade in computers? RAM. That is the one thing that people upgrade more then anything. That's even EASIER to do in a laptop. People aren't upgrading processors and video cards, except maybe gamers. When the average computer was $1,200, maybe. But now a cheap desktop is $400. A cheap laptop $500. People don't upgrade like they used to. Computers get replaced today... not upgraded.
  • They break more often
Ok, well I suppose. They are portable after all. Any number of things can happen. But less reliable? I don't think so. My laptops seems to last quite some time.

*Disclaimer before I upset someone: These are my opinions only. I am not saying any of this is FACT. I believe most folks will agree with me, but maybe not. Let's find out. Discuss.
I have 2 desktops, one for a server and the other I use at home daily. Two laptops, one is mine when I travel long distances and the other is Sneakers and he uses it at home. Two HP Minis that are used when we go into town to Java House after a day of errands and grocery shopping to relax a bit before we get back home to finish chores, get supper and settle in for the evening. We haven't upgraded anything on any of them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers