Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

I guess if you don't like it, boycott Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and whomever joins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I guess if you don't like it, boycott Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and whomever joins.

This the United States of America is it not?

Where one can voice their displeasure on something?

Or has that freedom been taken away by your government too?

With this new policy "One is innocent until proven guilty" has been replaced by the MPAA and RIAA rule of "We don't have to prove anything, you are guilty if we suspect you of doing anything"

I for one don't like your country if this is how American citizens are treated in the United States of America of twenty first century....

Last edited by plwhit; 03-25-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is a better solution than randomly suing people. It's supposed to be completely automated. No one will be manually reviewing your usage. So it's only bad if you're a thief.
...or if you have unsecured wireless that someone else decides to abuse. Or if a web sites redirects you to a site and/or file which is of questionable nature without telling you. Etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
...or if you have unsecured wireless that someone else decides to abuse.
It could also be some idiot with a router password of "abc123" -or- "myrouter"

Unsupervised children on the Internet

Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
...or if you have unsecured wireless that someone else decides to abuse. Or if a web sites redirects you to a site and/or file which is of questionable nature without telling you. Etc.
So you rather be randomly sued in these situations?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This the United States of America is it not?

Where one can voice their displeasure on something?

Or has that freedom been taken away by your government too?

With this new policy "One is innocent until proven guilty" has been replaced by the MPAA and RIAA rule of "We don't have to prove anything, you are guilty if we suspect you of doing anything"

I for one don't like your country if this is how American citizens are treated in the United States of America of twenty first century....
That was more of a general statement. You can voice your opinion, but you're more likely to get results with a mass silent protest against these corporations.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
If AT&T did that to me I'd switch to a small internet provider like RCN, which has way faster internet anyway.

I'm beginning to hate Obama too.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
I wonder if people start switching to VPN"s or IIRC
I also wonder if p2p blockers will work in this situation.

Anyhow their plan is to throttle down users who are caught multiple times which will lead to subscribers cancelling their accounts I think.

Its pretty sad to see a company which relies on their customers business, policing those same people.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
My understanding is the ISP will not be monitoring you activity. AFAIK this formalizes what they are already doing. The RIAA will be doing the monitoring for the illegal activity and send a notice to your ISP when they see infringing activity from an IP on their network. The ISP will then send you a notice.

The ISP may take action for repeat offenders like suspending or throttling their service but I think it's like 6 notices before that. One thing this will do is get a lot of parents to sit up and take notice of what their kids are doing.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Then why do you care if your ISP is going to monitor their network for illegally downloaded material?
Because it's none of their damn business. Their job is to connect me to the Internet. Period. It is not their job to monitor what goes over their network beyond what is required to protect their own equipment from attack.

Many examples can be provided where individuals are being targeted for copyright violations without a presumption of innocence or any legal protections of the individuals. Most people do not have the resources to fund a defense against a law suit against Disney for copying a picture to use as Desktop wallpaper.

I think that ISP's should have they special tax status revoked if they interfere with customers' use of the Internet at all.

This is invasive in another way, but it feels similar to what is currently in the news about prospective employers demanding an applicant's passwords for social networking sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers