Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,212,477 times

Advertisements

Is there any decent computers or laptops on the market today, that will actually play Sim City 4? I had an Acer Aspire. Dint work too well. So can anyone suggest a specific laptop or desktop? How much Ram should I look for ? Graphics card? Processor?

All I want to do is play this game smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,226,155 times
This should help you out:

Top 10 Best Gaming Laptops | PCMag.com

Search | Maximum PC

Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM

16,560 posts, read 19,758,258 times
There are a lot of laptops that can play that game easily.
The sys req's are pretty low for that.

CPU: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB or more
Video: 32 MB or greater supported Direct 3D video card

Really? That's it?

Basically just need to get a laptop that has a dedicated video card. You can get a $600 Dell special, upgrade the video card and be done.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,179,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are a lot of laptops that can play that game easily.
The sys req's are pretty low for that.

CPU: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB or more
Video: 32 MB or greater supported Direct 3D video card

Really? That's it?

Basically just need to get a laptop that has a dedicated video card. You can get a $600 Dell special, upgrade the video card and be done.
Sim City is a notorious RAM hog. I believe the specs you listed are for a barebones install. Once you build mid-sized a city, the game slows to a crawl. If you have a large city, expect long load times and choppy game play.

If your looking to build a system to play SimCity4, add as much RAM as you can afford. Not only system RAM, but video card RAM as well. Stay away from integrated graphics, they can't cut it. Get a nice desktop so you can upgrade parts if you need to.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Sim City is a notorious RAM hog. I believe the specs you listed are for a barebones install. Once you build mid-sized a city, the game slows to a crawl. If you have a large city, expect long load times and choppy game play.

If your looking to build a system to play SimCity4, add as much RAM as you can afford. Not only system RAM, but video card RAM as well. Stay away from integrated graphics, they can't cut it. Get a nice desktop so you can upgrade parts if you need to.

So no laptop? A Desktop. Ahh I dont know how to shop for desktops

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
What were the specs on the Aspire?

Sim City 4 is really old and has very low requirements. Even recent(ish) integrated graphics should be able to keep up with that game.

Even my old Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro can handle Half Life 2, which has much steeper requirements than Sim City 4.

Either your computer had very very very poor specs or it was loaded with way too much junk running in the background.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

16,560 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Sim City is a notorious RAM hog. I believe the specs you listed are for a barebones install.
When it comes to video games there are two sets of Requirements:
REQUIRED
and
RECOMMENDED.

What I posted was RECOMMENDED.

Sim City is not a RAM hog on any modern computer that has more then 2 GB of RAM or more. According to those RECOMMENDED SPECS, 1GB should be plenty.

You can get a laptop FloridaBorn.
How much do you want to spend?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,860,919 times
here is a great website to give you a gauge of whether or not the computer can run it.

Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements

Sim City 4 is a pretty old game, so any computer that was new 2-4 years ago should be able to run it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers