Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Last year when my Norton Anti Virus ran out, I came over here & asked for your help, and you guys were GREAT!!!

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, and I had an icon at the bottom of my screen, and ran it every day when I signed in. Today, when I signed in, the icon is gone I have looked everywhere, I can't find it

So, I went back to the web site, and tried to download it again, it said I can't because I already have it. But, I have it, yet I can not scan my PC, like I used to, up until yesterday.

Also, I do not know how this happened, but when I used to click an my internet explorer icon I would always get the MSN page. Now, I get this page that has "Ask.com" with a space like google to ask where you want to go.

How did this happen???

Anyway, what I really really need help is, how can I find my Microsoft Essentials, I did go to my computer, I see it there, I try to click on it, and I always get a box that reads: I already have it, but I do not see the icon to scan my PC

Again, I used to have the icon at the bottom of my PC next to the volume icon, and I would open it & scan. Then today, its gone, poof!
I am the only one that uses the PC, what could it be?

How can I get it back, so I can scan my computer, please HELP!!!

Thank you for your help!

COUNTRY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
What version of Windows?

Download and run Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,286,007 times
I can't answer your question but just to share my experience from a couple of days ago.
I did a complete FULL scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and it said "no threats detected"
Then I did a FULL scan with Malwarebytes and 2 items were detected and deleted (PUP.BundleInstaller.IWT - - what ever that is )

I used to think if I did a scan with MSE I didn't need to take the time to scan with Malwarebytes. I know better now.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
I had a problem w/ MSE recently, it would not allow me to update virus definitions, so I had to uninstall/reinstall it.

There's recently been an upgrade as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
If your notification area is not configured to "Always Show All Icons," your notification icon may have become hidden by something recently installed.

Although many programs have options about displaying notifications, I don't see one for MSE.

MSE, along with most virus protection programs, claims to provide protection against malware types that do not fit the definitions traditionally used for viruses. This could be ad-ware, other malicious software, or even tracking cookies. The fact that Malwarebytes found something that MSE skipped over does not indicate there is anything wrong with either program.

You have obviously downloaded Ask.com's crap-ware. Use Programs and Features to remove it along with the Ask toolbar it installed. Then go to another page, (I like to use Google because it loads fast) and make that your home page.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I can't answer your question but just to share my experience from a couple of days ago.
I did a complete FULL scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and it said "no threats detected"
Then I did a FULL scan with Malwarebytes and 2 items were detected and deleted (PUP.BundleInstaller.IWT - - what ever that is )

I used to think if I did a scan with MSE I didn't need to take the time to scan with Malwarebytes. I know better now.
Mensaguy already mentioned it, but some programs flag certain types of software as malicious while others might ignore it. "Bundled software," depending on what you had, could be legit software with some crap toolbar addition to it. My experience yields that MBAM tends to have a "common sense" approach to malicious software (removes junkware too), where as more main-stream A\V programs go for "technically" malware--actual software that has risks.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
I had this happen to and wasn't in my programs or in a search,think a windows up date or exsplorer update did it I saw something called one carewindows, I reinstalled them still cant figure it out

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM

455 posts, read 898,217 times
People recommended Microsoft Security Essentials to you?

When reports came out that MSE was dead last in the list of other AV solutions, it didn't help matters when Microsoft themselves came out backpedaling with the statement that they intended their solution to be "baseline" and used in conjunction with other solutions. So, Microsoft themselves have said not to use MSE by itself. (You can google for sources. I'm not trying to make an argument here)

That said, forget MSE and install Avast. It's free for home use, and was on the top of the list I referenced above.

It's funny, because I made all my users at work replace MSE with Avast (licensed) and some started complaining that their computer kept getting viruses. I had to explain to them that it was blocking viruses, and the reason they never saw this before is because MSE never caught anything.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,161 times
I just want to mention that MSE isn't quite as good as it used to be. It's been scoring very low on AV benchmarks lately. I'd suggest looking at alternatives.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM

455 posts, read 898,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I just want to mention that MSE isn't quite as good as it used to be. It's been scoring very low on AV benchmarks lately. I'd suggest looking at alternatives.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers