Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

What do you do if you have music files scattered across several different computers? Can you do drag & drop on an iPod when you connect it to each system? Or is that not doable?

What do you recommend for my situation? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
It is not doable, you have to install iTunes and use that to transfer the music.

Get a USB drive, move the music to one PC, and import it into iTunes.

iTunes sucks, by the way.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
You can drag and drop if you have set your iPod to install songs manually from the beginning. You can do the same for photos.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can drag and drop if you have set your iPod to install songs manually from the beginning. You can do the same for photos.
I don't believe that to be true, do you have a video or something explaining the procedure? I haven't had my iPhone in a while so maybe they've changed, but I doubt it coming from apple.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I assume Ray means having the device in USB mode so it acts like a drive. Problem is the device can't see those when you want to play songs.

iTunes does suck. #1 reason I am not an Apple fan.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM

You can definitely use the DCIM folder to drag and drop, but that's the only thing you can drag/drop to.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I don't believe that to be true, do you have a video or something explaining the procedure? I haven't had my iPhone in a while so maybe they've changed, but I doubt it coming from apple.
I have several iPods, but up to the 2nd generation Touch. What I do is not to sync the songs, but to choose manual installation. I still use iTunes to create playlists and such, then I connect the iPod to the computer. When the iPod appears on the iTune's window (near the top), I click-on and drag any playlist from the computer to the iPod's icon shown in iTunes. When you connect a new iPod to a computer, you have the option to select if you want to sync your music or not. The same for photos, and that's the reason why I always choose manual installation.

However, if I well remember: if I have chosen to sync my music and let iTunes do that, but then I change my mind and decide to choose to install my music manually, the songs installed on sync mode disappear from the iPod. These may be there somewhere, but one can't see them. If you still have the songs on your computer, or on CD's, then you can install them manually all over again.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Interesting info. Thanks, everybody! Gotta figure out if I want to buy a new iPod or not now. Le sigh. Got a few 20-hour flights this summer, it would be nice to have an iPod with me to while away the time.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have several iPods, but up to the 2nd generation Touch. What I do is not to sync the songs, but to choose manual installation. I still use iTunes to create playlists and such, then I connect the iPod to the computer. When the iPod appears on the iTune's window (near the top), I click-on and drag any playlist from the computer to the iPod's icon shown in iTunes. When you connect a new iPod to a computer, you have the option to select if you want to sync your music or not. The same for photos, and that's the reason why I always choose manual installation.

However, if I well remember: if I have chosen to sync my music and let iTunes do that, but then I change my mind and decide to choose to install my music manually, the songs installed on sync mode disappear from the iPod. These may be there somewhere, but one can't see them. If you still have the songs on your computer, or on CD's, then you can install them manually all over again.
Right, but that still involves iTunes. Being able to move music to the iPod/iPhone/iPad without it would be a welcomed ability (just like almost any other MP3 player and smart phone out there)

I know there are things (or used to be things) like sharepod that basically replace iTunes, which is marginally better, but still disappointing.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Music and Audiobooks? Apple is not the only game in town.

Sansa® Fuze?+

That will let you drag and drop between 1,000 computer if you are so inclined...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers