Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times

Advertisements

Are there any chargers that can connect your phone or your MP3 player to your computer's USB port, which don't also transfer data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Search eBay for charge only or power only USB cables. I'm not sure why this is a problem though. Things only transfer if you tell them to transfer.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Search eBay for charge only or power only USB cables. I'm not sure why this is a problem though. Things only transfer if you tell them to transfer.
Or if someone else tells them to.

The problem is that I want to use them at work. Because they may not allow them, and even if they do, I don't want them to be able to read my personal info. I don't want my employer gathering information from my cell phone while I am just trying to charge it.

My question was whether there is some kind of "power only" charger that connects to USB without the data transfer.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times
Can't you just buy a USB wall adapter and charge it that way?

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/PORT-HOME-OUTL...b+wall+charger

Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,744,192 times
^^ Exactly!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Can't you just buy a USB wall adapter and charge it that way?

For example:

Amazon.com: 2 PORT HOME WALL AC OUTLET USB CHARGER ADAPTER PLUG: Cell Phones & Accessories
No, that's another problem. The company frowns on the personal use of the electrical outlets just as much as the personal use of the USB ports. So, it's not something I could use on a daily basis, which I would need to.

It seems like my best option would be a battery powered charger that doesn't have to connect to anything. Or something that I could charge up at home each night and take with me to the office.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The company frowns on the personal use of the electrical outlets
Wow, that's harsh.

If the job market was better, I'd suggest flipping them the bird and finding somewhere else to work. Maybe you should start a competing company instead...

Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No, that's another problem. The company frowns on the personal use of the electrical outlets just as much as the personal use of the USB ports. So, it's not something I could use on a daily basis, which I would need to.

It seems like my best option would be a battery powered charger that doesn't have to connect to anything. Or something that I could charge up at home each night and take with me to the office.
Are you using your cell so much while on the clock that it needs to be recharged during the day? How does the company view that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow, that's harsh.

If the job market was better, I'd suggest flipping them the bird and finding somewhere else to work. Maybe you should start a competing company instead...
Not really. Every person who is charging their phones is adding to the power bill, be it through USB or a wall wart. Where is the line drawn? What if a company has 1000's of employees who are all charging multiple devices, or plugging in a fan/heater/radio/other employee owned device? What if charging one of those devices does cause a problem, like tripping a breaker or introducing a virus?

An old employer told us that making a long distance phone call without paying for it was the same as walking out with a $2 item. Either way, it's unauthorized consumption of company property.

People that think flipping the bird at a company is a reasonable response because of that company's rules have obviously never owned their own business.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
People that think flipping the bird at a company is a reasonable response because of that company's rules have obviously never owned their own business.
Um, I DO own my business, and I would NEVER tell my employees that they can't charge their cellphones at the office. It's a very small price to pay to not crush morale.

I fully understand the "unauthorized use of resources" argument, but my point (which was pretty obvious, I think) was that it should be authorized. A trickle charge for an hour or two is practically nothing on the power bill - even "thousands of them," compared with the cost of running just one of the four bulbs in the fixture above that employee's desk, or running that employee's PC, or printing a single page on a laser printer, or "authorizing" the employee to heat up their lunch in the microwave...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Wouldn't connecting your phone to charge to a computer plugged into your company's electrical outlet be almost the same as plugging it directly into the outlet? You're still consuming electricity, although a minute amount either way.

If you have admin access to the PC, you could always try disabling the USB ports. I believe (but am not sure) that would allow you to still charge but would disable read/write access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers