Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,602,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Good info, Lentzr. I have had many HP products and was happy with them. I'm basic user when it comes to computers also - decided on the Acer due to several reasons: more memory, and the price when packaged with Microsoft Office was better (due to where I ordered it from). I have the HP sitting on my desk now - I've been playing with windows 8 - takes some getting use to - but it's going back tomorrow.
Just to let you know, yes, the Acer that you posted has more RAM than the HP Pavilion that you also mentioned. You stated that the Acer had 6GB while the HP Pavilion had only 4GB of RAM. The HP Pavilion that I just purchased has 8GB of RAM , plus 1TB of hard drive! I got it for 500 dollars at Microcenter. It is just a suggestion, but if you really like HP products, you should be able to find an HP Pavilion like mine that is even better than the Acer. I do not know where you shop, so I can not say anything definite about prices, but my HP Pavilion was only 500 and has more memory than the Acer. If you really like the Acer, than go with the Acer. I am just suggesting that you may still find a better deal with an HP Pavilion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,602,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Good info, Lentzr. I have had many HP products and was happy with them. I'm basic user when it comes to computers also - decided on the Acer due to several reasons: more memory, and the price when packaged with Microsoft Office was better (due to where I ordered it from). I have the HP sitting on my desk now - I've been playing with windows 8 - takes some getting use to - but it's going back tomorrow.
I forgot that you mentioned the Microsoft Office software included with the Acer. With regards to pricing, if you really like Microsoft Office, that may be a tipping point in your decision. When I bought my new computer, everything was brand new. So I decided to update the Microsoft Office software that I was using as well. So I bought Office 2010 (I was using 2003 until this year) which added to the 500 dollar price tag of the HP Pavilion (which did not come with Office). So if you were looking at prices and software even more than me, perhaps your decision to buy the Acer was the correct one.

But just out of curiosity...why do you not like Windows 8? At first, I was considering buying a computer with Windows 7. (I was running on XP until this year). Like many other people, I felt that Windows should open up to the desktop. However, I got used to Windows 8 and navigating around the computer became second-hand nature within a day. I know that there is not that much difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 except in appearance, and a little extra speed and security. So if I had Windows 7 on my computer, there would be no need to upgrade. However, this month I needed to buy a new computer so I decided if I am going to get a new operating system, might as well learn the new technology before my mind gets old (I'm 33) and I become stuck in my ways. (In my personal life, I have had problems with some older folks that have failed to move much with the times. So I figured that if I do not want to develop like that as I age, I have to keep learning new things even if I am more comfortable with the old). That's just my personal preference, but other factors may be at place with other individuals. I am just sharing my personal thoughts and experiences.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,999 times
The Pavilion I purchased from Best Buy (soon to be returned) and the Acer I ordered from Newegg.

The guy at Best Buy kept saying - "Remember, this year you have until 1/24/2013 to return it" (direct eye contact - hint, hint) - and this was after I had already paid for it so it wasn't just to convince me to buy it. Ok - I believe there was a message in there or was I reading too much into it?. What, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps to keep looking and find a better deal. I kept getting the feeling that he wanted me to buy this one (to help him with his quotas) and then keep looking.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,583,295 times
Acer..

Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 AM

16,560 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Personally wouldn't buy anything (except a printer from HP) from either company.
I like: Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo and yes, even Dell is not bad.
My Father In Law had the worst experience with HP support that I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers