Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Well for Christmas I got an awesome touch screen computer I wanted. I originally got a Gateway computer, but when we got it home turns out that it was a windows 7 and my mom had purchased me the windows 8. So... we took it back, got home and we had a windows 8, but then they had given us a non-touch screen model (after she told the salesman to triple check it to make sure she had the one she wanted)!!

My mom was furious of course, so the manager said to bring it back and he would give us a new one and knock so much off for our troubles. They were out of the touch screen windows 8 gateway computers, so he talked us into getting a "Lenovo" windows 8 touch screen. It has the same apps/programs, but the startup is a little different and even on its brightest setting the screen don't seem as bright as it did on the gateway I had here for a short time. I have the brightness set all the way up, which is sufficient, but I would think it would get brighter if I wanted it to be brighter. I guess the gateway may have been this way as well and I just didn't notice it, it was about as bright as this one, but I am not sure if it was on full brightness or not.

I have never heard of Lenovo, so not sure if its a good brand or not. lol.

I love it though, its really cool. Just will take some time since I am used to windows XP on my old computer. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Lenovo is the largest seller of PCs in terms of sales.

Lenovo knocks HP from top of global PC market: Gartner | Reuters

Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I wouldn't worry about the brightness. Most screens are much brighter than they really should be. The Lenovo probably has a more realistic range than the Gateway.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
What's the model number?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Lenovo is a spin from IBM. Which in itself is a better computer. The Gateways are no longer made by them and are now a rebadged E-machine. E-machine in its day was a low end computer. Nice plastic on the outside and garbage on the inside.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Lenovo is a spin from IBM. Which in itself is a better computer. The Gateways are no longer made by them and are now a rebadged E-machine. E-machine in its day was a low end computer. Nice plastic on the outside and garbage on the inside.
Actually, Lenovo is a Chinese company that bought IBM's personal computer business a number of years ago.

Gateway bought eMachines years ago, then they were bought by Acer.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Actually, Lenovo is a Chinese company that bought IBM's personal computer business a number of years ago.

Gateway bought eMachines years ago, then they were bought by Acer.
IBM wanted out of the personal computer sector and had been trying to sell it off for years. Either way they got out of the computer wars. But Lenovo has taken the computer line to a better quality level than it was post 2000.

Gateway,Emachine and Acer (might as well throw in Packard Bell too) are all low end trash.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times
You should have stuck with windows 7.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
One of the best computers I ever had was an eMachines one. It was definitely not junk. In this case, though, I probably just got lucky.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I think you would have to find reviews on the individual computer models to figure out which is better. Before the end of January you can upgrade a win 7 computer to win 8 for $15 through mirosoft though so that should not stop you!

Many don't consider win 8 to be an upgrade but I could see why you might want it for a touchscreen --- if there is an opportunity to exchange then post the models of both computers and people can give some insight. If not, don't sweat it. Enjoy your computer. I think they all have low and high ends so not so much the brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers