Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM

592 posts, read 503,389 times

Advertisements

I am also planning to take the A+ certification to pad my resume. I will also be taking a Linux certification. I am a final year Computer Science Student, and I think sometimes in school we focus so much on the theory and forget the real world.

I have skimmed through chapter 1 to Chapter 6 in 2 days, and did the practice questions. I am getting roughly 8/10 without really reading that much. I hope this is a good sign because it is a really big book (1600 pages) and I want to read it in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,153,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Well, the Windows section makes the assumption you're actually knowledgeable about Windows. I know a lot of highly technical people who haven't used Windows in years. I wouldn't be using it at work at all except for the fact that it's mandated here. The places I write code are all non-Windows platforms.
Sure, but the A+ is primarily to 'certify' that someone in a support or general PC maintenance position has an idea of what they're doing. That's not you - you're a developer, not a support guy.

If you were in some sort of support position, then it would probably be in support of a specific product, sold to businesses or governments, not consumers. IOW, if you're a developer and you're not coding for Windows, then you're not writing for the masses, and nobody should care if you have your A+.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
But a seasoned, brilliant coder such as yourself would not likely to bother with a lowly certification such as A+, am I wrong?
Just because I'm experienced doesn't mean I'm any good at it.

I actually bought the study guide for A+ ten years ago when I was looking for work and thinking of applying to various PC hardware-related positions as a fallback to software development, and I thought it was a really good hardware reference. I don't think I'd even pass the hardware part without a lot of refresh now. I haven't built PCs for a decade, and most of my PCs at home are SCSI.

It's also true that A+ really doesn't have much to do with what I do professionally, which is write code, so it really doesn't mean much in that context. If it wasn't for the cost, though, I'd probably take it just to have it. It isn't a meaningless certification, at least IMO, and it would give me a lot more knowledge about current systems than I have at present.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure, but the A+ is primarily to 'certify' that someone in a support or general PC maintenance position has an idea of what they're doing. That's not you - you're a developer, not a support guy.
Absolutely. I was just countering the assumption that all "techs" would know anything about Windows other than advanced userland tidbits, or even about PC hardware for that matter.

There are lots of niches in the technology world. In a PC context, tho, he was probably right ... unless you're dealing with Linux desktops or Macs. The last job I had before this one used mostly MacOS on the desktop and Solaris on the backend, at least in their main operations center, so that isn't an unknown.

That was my main point. I know several people who focus on Linux desktops in a business context these days, and one who supports corporate Mac desktops. Of course, it's possible A+ covers them. I haven't picked up anything A+ related since 2003 or 2004.

In retrospect, my comment was probably stupid. Sorry.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-11-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM

8,343 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
Just because I'm experienced doesn't mean I'm any good at it.
I seriously doubt any individual is an expert in all fields, or even most. To even claim such a thing would not be realistic.
And of course, I was only kidding but you seem to know your stuff, at least enough to get by, am I wrong?

Quote:
I actually bought the study guide for A+ ten years ago when I was looking for work and thinking of applying to various PC hardware-related positions as a fallback to software development, and I thought it was a really good hardware reference. I don't think I'd even pass the hardware part without a lot of refresh now. I haven't built PCs for a decade, and most of my PCs at home are SCSI.

It's also true that A+ really doesn't have much to do with what I do professionally, which is write code, so it really doesn't mean much in that context. If it wasn't for the cost, though, I'd probably take it just to have it. It isn't a meaningless certification, at least IMO, and it would give me a lot more knowledge about current systems than I have at present.
I agree to a certain extend. IMHO, if you are not going to use a certain piece of information in real life, especially at work, then I personally do not see the point in obtaining the knowledge yet along the certification for it.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to have the A+ cert. but more so the related knowledge. That said, if you really do not need the certification professionally and also do not want to spend $168 especially since the new one is only good for a lousy 3 years. Why now just get the study material and read/study it and skip the exam?
There is so much good free material online, you don't even have to buy anything but a PC Hardware or PC Technician reference book would be really helpful though. So me thinks...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt any individual is an expert in all fields, or even most. To even claim such a thing would not be realistic.
And of course, I was only kidding but you seem to know your stuff, at least enough to get by, am I wrong?
I do well enough.

Quote:
Although, it wouldn't hurt to have the A+ cert. but more so the related knowledge. That said, if you really do not need the certification professionally and also do not want to spend $168 especially since the new one is only good for a lousy 3 years. Why now just get the study material and read/study it and skip the exam?
There is so much good free material online, you don't even have to buy anything but a PC Hardware or PC Technician reference book would be really helpful though. So me thinks...
I love cheap tech books. Older A+ cert books are quite inexpensive, and I've gotten a few dozen O'Reilly books from half.com as well. Good site if you're willing to use slightly older documentation...

Half.com / Books / Search Results for 'A+ Certification'

Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,316,316 times
Quote:

I agree to a certain extend. IMHO, if you are not going to use a certain piece of information in real life, especially at work, then I personally do not see the point in obtaining the knowledge yet along the certification for it.

Well - I've not doubt revenue is part of the game, I personally think that it makes sense to establish some type of maintenance plan (either expire the cert or mandat a CPE program). And most want that ANSI/ISO cert too.

Perhaps the better alternative is to establish a CPE requirement which is what orgs like ISC and ISACA does. But that also costs money. I pay over $300 a year on annual dues alone, and the CPE activities also add up. Of course, those tests are also $500 a pop and can take 6 hours. So I'll take the CPE since I do this regardless...might as well get the credit.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM

8,343 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
I do well enough.
In every main IT area and their respective sub-categories? If indeed so, then please pardon me.
In that case, you are an uber-geek and you do not belong here!

Quote:
I love cheap tech books. Older A+ cert books are quite inexpensive, and I've gotten a few dozen O'Reilly books from half.com as well. Good site if you're willing to use slightly older documentation...

Half.com / Books / Search Results for 'A+ Certification'
No argument here. I love "cheap" period. Except women and food, or was it "fast"?

Funny thing is, I bought new computer books before and by the time I started reading them, they were already available for 25% of their original price or even less! Nowdays, I stick with magazines since I do lack the time and desire to read fine print books.
I wonder when I will get the chance to read the last 3 books (Windows Internals 1 & 2, The Rootkit Arsenal) I bought couple of months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Well - I've not doubt revenue is part of the game, I personally think that it makes sense to establish some type of maintenance plan (either expire the cert or mandat a CPE program). And most want that ANSI/ISO cert too.

Perhaps the better alternative is to establish a CPE requirement which is what orgs like ISC and ISACA does. But that also costs money. I pay over $300 a year on annual dues alone, and the CPE activities also add up. Of course, those tests are also $500 a pop and can take 6 hours. So I'll take the CPE since I do this regardless...might as well get the credit.
I agree macroy. There has to be some sort of a renewal if there is no way to distinguish the certification from a certain time/version to the other. To me, all certifications are about revenue, nothing more.
Perhaps we should come up with our own certification? C-D Tech+ Certification, 200 Computer hardware questions prepared by C-D geeks to mentally torment you for couple of hours, and then relieve you from $50. Of course before coming up with the certification exams, we have to publish a few books to get the name out there, gain some reputation and credibility. As the reputation increases, so will the certification exam fee! Hardly a real work on our part. Then we can force the people to re-take it every 3 years, cha-ching! Brilliant!

Back to reality. For example, I do not need to renew my MCSE cert that I got for NT or 2000 because it specifies it on the cert. Oddly enough, even though the companies I was applying at a few years back, were all using Windows XP/Server 2003 and/or newer, they never really bothered to ask me what my MCSE was for. I am guessing they though "OK, this guy got his certs and have been working in the field for this many years, he obviously knows his thing" and whatever confirmation they needed would come in the form of a written or more commonly verbal questions.

Back to renewal, even I am for it, the renewal period should be a bit more loose (3 years seems a bit short IMHO), it should be 5 years. Also, exams should not cost $168 x 2 unless they can share the info as to why it costs that much to justify it. The prices seem extremely bloated. I think $150-$200 for both exams is a reasonable figure. Furthermore, for those taking them to renew should get a significant discount, say 50% off?

That said, if applicants is relying on their certs alone, regardless of what they are or how current they are, without substantial experience, most employers won't even consider that applicant from what I have seen and heard (from recruiters). As the job market turns in favor of the employees, this trend will probably change.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
In every main IT area and their respective sub-categories? If indeed so, then please pardon me.
In that case, you are an uber-geek and you do not belong here!
Nah, I was referring to the "...knowing at least enough to get by..." part.

I'm surrounded by people everyday who know stuff I don't. That's why they do what they do and I do what I do. Gotta trust the experts to do their jobs.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,244,105 times
My son is a network administrator for a government contracting company. He is required to have all the certs.

He has Comp Tia A+, Network+, Security+, he has two Cisco Certs CCNA and another I can't recall. He also has a Microsoft Cert.

I asked him this question and he felt it would be achievable to get this cert in a months time if you were dedicated in your studying. He didn't think there was any way that you could get it without studying as he said a lot of the questions are based on how Comp Tia wants you to perform a task.

He was very good with computers before he went into IT and he said he had to study to pass his A+ on the first try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers