Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM

197 posts, read 209,056 times

Advertisements

Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-safari-desktop-picture.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Piles are what I see on some peoples desktops at work, I swear they have at least 70 icons......
70 icons is a lot! Do they actually use these icons? I used to think I had a lot of icons on my desktop, I have 42 and I am just a general user. However, I actually use those shortcuts, since I have a lot of educational/reference software on my hard drive. But more than 70?! I could put up many more icons, but I would never use them. What line of work are you co-workers in that they would need so many different programs?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
I have 2 Windows 7 desktop computers, one Windows 7 laptop, and one XP desktop that'll be retired pretty soon.

This is one of the pictures I use on the desktop computer I'm using, flying into Catalina Island in a Beechcraft Baron 58, twin-engine, one of my favorites.

For the most part, I have a standard Wndows 7 desktop background image.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
70 icons is a lot! Do they actually use these icons? I used to think I had a lot of icons on my desktop, I have 42 and I am just a general user. However, I actually use those shortcuts, since I have a lot of educational/reference software on my hard drive. But more than 70?! I could put up many more icons, but I would never use them. What line of work are you co-workers in that they would need so many different programs?
I've seen people who create icons on their desktops for documents and pictures, that's too much, when I want to access a document, or any files in either the Pictures or Videos libraries, I use Windows Explorer, go to the appropriate directory/folder and open the item.

I don't like to clutter up the desktop (as you can see in the image in my previous message), I keep everything I use pinned on the Start menu.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
My work PC has a number of folders on the desktop that I use to store icons for various classes of things like applications, programming tools and refs, utilities, webadmin stuff, PuTTY shortcuts, document and FAQ shortcuts, etc. That XP desktop used to be literally filled with icons until I organized things properly. It's nice in that the "Desktop" menu on the taskbar becomes very useful ... folders become submenus.

I wish there was a simple toolbar out there like the old OS/2 Warppad that I used to use under Warp 4 (see old desktop screenshot below) ... and I'm sure there is. The little bars with arrows were drawers that would toggle in and out and tear off to make independent toolbars, etc. I think the Stardock folks still make an Object Desktop-like suite with its toolbar variant, so maybe I should check them out again.
Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-warppad.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I subscribe to the KISS principle.
LOL, "Stuff". A few of my frineds had an environmental testing laboratory and they had this one file cabinet. The top drawer was "Stuff", the second one was "More stuff", the third was "Other Stuff" and the last one was "Stuff not found above"

I'm with you, I don't even use the Desktop. That's the Susquehanna River about 80 miles south of NY border. It's a bit deceiving because the land to the left is actually an island.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
^^ Haha. . .I'm fond also of using 'Stuff' in folder names

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ Haha. . .I'm fond also of using 'Stuff' in folder names
Me too. Work Stuff and Rich's Stuff are two of my main folders here at work.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
They were links to other systems they supported....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I don't know how to post a screen shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers