Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,226,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Fine, I will bite:

Declaration: Since I do not spend more than couple of seconds looking at the desktop, I never saw the point of having something cool or pretty to look at. Instead, I opt for something that would ensure that I wouldn't be just staring at it.
Interesting point.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,941,276 times
If you care, you can see that I have two different monitor sizes. Multiple monitor displays are the best use I've found so far for panoramas.

This reminds of the fun trick to play on some who leaves themselves logged in:

PrintScreen their desktop
Make it their background.
Hide all their program icons.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,248,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

This is one of the pictures I use on the desktop computer I'm using, flying into Catalina Island in a Beechcraft Baron 58, twin-engine, one of my favorites.

two recommendations:

Milviz Flight Sims - B55

PC Aviator - The Flight Simulation Company!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,383,291 times
This was a fun thread to look at
Mine:

(photo is from 20 yrs. ago, during my cross-country bus trip, interior/ceiling of transport station in Utica NY)
I have it on mosaic/tile effect so I can see more of the image even when there are windows taking up middle of screen.
It's one of my favorite photos that I've ever taken (so, no copyright infringement here), beautiful architecture just "wows" me

Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
I had a light bulb moment, my desktop is once again a Commodore 64, I need to load it into my gif editor and make the cursor blink.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,370,439 times
Here's my sweet axe.
Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-guitar.jpg  

Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
70 icons is a lot! Do they actually use these icons? I used to think I had a lot of icons on my desktop, I have 42 and I am just a general user. However, I actually use those shortcuts, since I have a lot of educational/reference software on my hard drive. But more than 70?! I could put up many more icons, but I would never use them. What line of work are you co-workers in that they would need so many different programs?
I have three yellow (I wish I could color code them) file folders, one for "clutter" -- things I'll never click on, old stuff like installers, etc, that get automatically placed on the desktop. One for antimalware accessories, one for browsers, which are also in quick launch in my task bar. So three icons consolidate about 50, and I don't have to think about what to delete. Then four more folders for personal files. A few more for computer, control panel, notepad, trash.

I don't use a picture, just plain flat yellowish-brown. If I go to my desktop, it is only for a moment, or else I turn off the screen. I can 't show it to you, because I have a Black Hole OS (aka Vista). Oh, wait, I figured out how to do it. It's about a 12-click operation, none of which are intuitive. For Vista users, here they are:
Start button
=>Accessories
=>Paint
Minimize Paint window
Shift/Print Screen
Maximize Paint window
Edit
=>Paste
Close Paint window
Save
Name file
Choose or try to remember location
Save
Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-desktop.jpg  

Last edited by jtur88; 02-01-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

8,344 posts, read 13,490,429 times
I have seen end users who had shortcuts on their desktops pointing to other shortcuts on their desktop!
Duplicates of My Documents folder within My Documents folder, copy of a folder named Desktop on Desktop with all the shortcuts that were on the original Desktop, shortcuts to pictures in My Pictures folder and also shortcuts in My Pictures folder pointing to pictures located on Desktop, etc.....oh man, I thought somebody put an acid pill in my multi vitamin bottle that I take every morning!

Some people seems to have their flippin' filesystem on their desktop, if that is how it ought to be, then why even bother with a desktop, have Windows boot to a Windows Explorer window?

I think people need to make better use of Windows keys and other keyboard shortcuts so they wouldn't need to have all those desktop shortcuts. It is even wise to get a multimedia keyboard. Even the cheesy one I have at work can launch bunch of apps by the press of a button like the default web browser, calculator, default e-mail client, wmp + play controls, etc.

Did you even know that you could launch the first 10 apps (start from the far left) on your Taskbar by simply holding Windows Key and pressing 1, 2, 3... (above the letters)?

Then again, it is their desktop and their taste and desire, who am I to judge anyone?
70 desktop icons? Why not?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times
Huh. Found a new shell for Windows XP that seems to run fairly well via WinPE from my USB stick. Called Emerge Desktop. Seems functional.

Interested folks can find it here:

Emerge Desktop
Attached Thumbnails
Post your Desktop (Screenshot thread)-usbsnap.png  

Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,602,756 times
I do not see anything wrong with someone having 70 icons on their desktop. To each their own, its just a matter of personal preference. The 42 icons that I have as a general user may seem like a lot to some people. Though I do use each icon regularly, what I do not use is either hidden in a folder or not at all placed on my desktop. That is just my preference to use the desktop for just what I use on a regular basis (at least once or twice a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers