Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times

Advertisements

I have Century Link DSL and a wired modem. I have a phone line strung from the living room, across the hall, into the office and I want to get rid of that.

I assume I need a wireless modem? If so, does it need to be plugged into a phone jack?

I only have one computer to connect. So I don't need a router, right? Or do I? I'm not even sure what a router does to be honest.

What do I need to buy? And any recommendations on products or brands would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
If the modem from the DLS provider has ethernet out, you buy a wireless router and connect ethernet out of the DSL modem to the ethernet port of the wireless modem that you buy. Then you'd need to ethernet-cable your PC to the modem, set the modem settings, change the password on the router, set security and login password for your network. After you set up the wireless modem, you can unplug the PC and go wireless.

I recommend Netgear WNDR2000 for budget model, or WNDR3400 for a faster, dual-band, and more features.

If the DSL modem doesn't have ethernet out, then you'd have to buy something that is specially meant to work with DSL, and all of those options are more expensive. Or, perhaps rent it from the DSL provider I don't know, because I haven't messed with DSL since 2004. I am not current on it.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 02-04-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
It's been awhile since I've used DSL, but my mother-in-law has AT&T DSL, and their standard modem includes wireless capability at no additional charge.

Looking at Century Link's website, it appears they offer a wireless modem for $6/month:

Quote:
EquipmentCenturyLinkâ„¢ High-Speed Internet Modems
Advanced Networking ModemEquipment lease only $5.99/mo.
Our Advanced Wireless Networking Modem gives you:
•Fast data speeds to virtually any room in your home.
•Built-in, wireless router lets you share high-speed Internet access, files and printers among five computers at the same time.
•Always-on wireless security.
•Windows and Mac compatible.
If your computer does not have a wireless adapter (most desktops do not) you'll need to buy a USB wireless adapter or something similar. I've had good luck with LinkSys equipment, but there are a bunch of choices.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
If the modem from the DLS provider has ethernet out, you buy a wireless router and connect ethernet out of the DSL modem to the ethernet port of the wireless modem that you buy. . .

That's what I did, and I'm very satisfied with it. My iMac is still attached near where the DSL comes in through the phone line, but I wanted wireless broadcast to the rest of my apartment for my iPhone and (perhaps soon) iPad.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the graphic, SIMB, that's very helpful.

I have a Gateway all in one sx4300. I dunno if it has a wireless adapter, but here's a description I found online.

Experience a new kind of computing with the Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC. The Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC is powered by Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium and features easy-to-use multigesture touch technology, an eye-catching style, plus great entertainment and media sharing tools. The Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC sports a 2.7GHz AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 4GB of cutting-edge DDR3 memory, a 640GB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 4270 graphics and a 135W power supply. Its slim design fits any decor, the integrated 5W stereo speaker system provides rich sound, and 802.11b/g/n wireless and the wireless keyboard and mouse keep everything clutter free. You'll love that the 20" HD Ultrabright widescreen delivers 1600 x 900 resolution, and that Gateway's remarkable Touch Gadgets let you manage media with a tap.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

I have a Gateway all in one sx4300. I dunno if it has a wireless adapter, but here's a description I found online.

Experience a new kind of computing with the Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC. The Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC is powered by Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium and features easy-to-use multigesture touch technology, an eye-catching style, plus great entertainment and media sharing tools. The Gateway ZX4300 Refurbished All-In-One Desktop PC sports a 2.7GHz AMD Athlon dual-core processor, 4GB of cutting-edge DDR3 memory, a 640GB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 4270 graphics and a 135W power supply. Its slim design fits any decor, the integrated 5W stereo speaker system provides rich sound, and 802.11b/g/n wireless and the wireless keyboard and mouse keep everything clutter free. You'll love that the 20" HD Ultrabright widescreen delivers 1600 x 900 resolution, and that Gateway's remarkable Touch Gadgets let you manage media with a tap.
It sounds like you are good on the pc end. You can always double-check just to be sure:

In Vista or Windows 7:

Click Start> Type in "Device Manager" in the Start Menu (omit the quotes) > In Device Manager window scroll down expand the Network Adapters option (click on the +). You should see a wireless adapter there along with an Ethernet entry (for wired).

I bought a refurbished Cisco Linksys E900 N300 wireless router on eBay and it's been working great. I paid $17.99 for it. The seller has sold hundreds of them.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks nezlie. I have a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter but don't see anything that says ethernet. The others are Ralink Wireless LAN Card, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and TAP-Win32 Adapter V9.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM

16,668 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

802.11 is the ANSI standard for wireless ethernet. You have it and are good to go on your PC. All you need now is a router.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
Ralink Wireless is the 802.11b/g/n is the wireless adapter that's compatible with B, G, and N wireless. You should get a wireless N router if you are buying one.

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is the ethernet. I presume GBE means gigabyte ethernet.

What DSL model model do you have?

Since you have a wireless adapter in your PC, you could download the inSSIDer program, and look at how many other wireless networks might be in the vicinity. If there are many, it may influence your choice of router. Or you may want to use a dual band USB wifi adapter and also a dual band router that has a 5GHz band, because fewer people and wireless devices use the 5GHz band.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Ralink Wireless is the 802.11b/g/n is the wireless adapter that's compatible with B, G, and N wireless. You should get a wireless N router if you are buying one.

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is the ethernet. I presume GBE means gigabyte ethernet.

What DSL model model do you have?

Since you have a wireless adapter in your PC, you could download the inSSIDer program, and look at how many other wireless networks might be in the vicinity. If there are many, it may influence your choice of router. Or you may want to use a dual band USB wifi adapter and also a dual band router that has a 5GHz band, because fewer people and wireless devices use the 5GHz band.
Thank you for translating for me.

I have an Actiontec M1000 modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers