Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a HP pavillion elite core 2 quad that i hadn't used for about a year.When i started it up to use it it checked for updates and there was about 200 plus windows updates so i started the update process.Towards the end of the updates when it was on a service pack updates it froze and the mouse and keyboard would not do anything so I foolishly shut the power off to it.When I tried to start it back up nothing would work and there was just a blank screen with no lights on on the front of the computer and the mouse and keyboard were non functional.I was pretty sure that it was beyond repairing myself as I don't have any system recovery discs or anything to try to get the system back and am not computer wise.

I looked online on some other forums and someone mentioned taking the battery out of the inside of the computer(big watch battery) and another said to take a ram card out and put it back in so i tried them both and when started back up wa-la it booted up and is now back in action and works well so i guess I got lucky.It does have the noisy video card fan which this particular card is known for but is tolerable to me .
Just thought I would pass this on that if this happens to your computer there is hope.Obviously unplugging your computer when it is updating is not a good idea but power outages do occur.
I am hesitant to try installing all the updates again so I am going to leave well enough alone for now but if anyone has any suggestions regarding what happened or useful info on this computer it will be appreciated.It seems plenty fast enough for me and has a 750 gb HD so it should be good for several more years if I can keep it going.
Thanks for any helpful information if you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers