Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 AM

65 posts, read 205,440 times

Advertisements

Hello,
First of all I would like to say I'm no computer Guru. On some sites I get a message saying that I have a
outdated browser, and that I need to update to a newer one such as internet explorer, firefox, etc. My question is what should I do on updating this, and will this cause any problems?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,410,284 times
To update your browser, go to the source site (never update a browser from an email link or from a link on an unrelated website)
Firefox: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
IE: Internet Explorer - Microsoft Windows

When you're done updating, you may want to set your browser to automatically inform you when there is a new update available.
Firefox: Tools>Options>Update (tab)
IE: Help> About Internet Explorer (select auto updates)

It's generally better to keep your browser updated, because they fix security issues that arise.
And no, this should not cause any problems, assuming you have a recent Operating System - Windows7, or Vista.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
I usually update by going to the "about" part of the help menu (PC) or under the name of the browser in upper left (Mac).

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
Default You should click

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmink View Post
On some sites I get a message saying that I have a
outdated browser, and that I need to update to a newer one such as internet explorer, firefox, etc.
You should click.
Then you will learn about malware first hand.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

718 posts, read 1,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
To update your browser, go to the source site (never update a browser from an email link or from a link on an unrelated website)
Firefox: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
IE: Internet Explorer - Microsoft Windows
I found this really funny. Oh, the irony ....

Anyway, reps for you for making me laugh today !

Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
He may be learning about malware first hand without clicking.

Software on your computer especially things like a browser needs to be kept up to date. Those updates frequently contain fixes for security issues.... Besides that were at time having a newer browser is almost required, support for older browsers is quickly going to die with a lot of the new HTML5 features and CSS3 formatting that are starting to make there way into a lot of websites .

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,410,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I found this really funny. Oh, the irony ....

Anyway, reps for you for making me laugh today !
LOL! oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers