Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

I have a Sony Bravia internet TV and want to connect a keyboard/mouse to it. I do not currently have a wireless usb keyboard to test if it will work with the TV.

I have searched the net trying to verify that a wireless USB keyboard will work with this TV. I saw one post by someone from Sony that a wireless keyboard would not work but it was in an answer to someone asking about Bluetooth.

My question - Is the signal input the same from a wired USB keyboard as it is from a wireless? Is there any reason WHY a wireless USB keyboard would not work with a TV?

I hate to order a keyboard I am not going to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Are you saying that a WIRED keyboard works? Not sure why you are asking if t uses the same "signal".
If that is the case, that a WIRED keyboard works, then yes: a WIRELESS one will, too.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
"are they the same signal" - yes and no.

The keyboard signal is the same, but obviously the wireless rides on top of a wireless signal (as opposed to just the wire). I think the post you mentioned was in regards to the BT signal. Typically your regular wireless USB devices will provide a transceiver. Whereas bluetooth devices don't (since devices that support bluetooth will already come with the transceivers built in).

So in your case, if your TV supports bluetooth, then a bluetooth keyboard SHOULD work. If you get a non-bluetooth wireless USB device, just make sure it comes with a transceiver (most do).

Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Ok, I found a few more threads about it. The problem was a SONY rep saying a wireless keyboard would not work. There were several other threads saying the SONY TV could not power the wireless dongle.

I found two other posts claiming that that they were using a wireless keyboard just fine.

There seems to be a whole lot of disinformation out there.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Ok, I found a few more threads about it. The problem was a SONY rep saying a wireless keyboard would not work. There were several other threads saying the SONY TV could not power the wireless dongle.

I found two other posts claiming that that they were using a wireless keyboard just fine.

So your only solution is to buy one and try it.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,463,205 times
Quote:

Good point. Many "non-computer" devices that use USB do not enough power to the USB ports to power anything except for a thumb drive, or other low-power device.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Your problem is drivers for the wireless keyboard. I think its the Logitech K700 that works with the Sony. Research that model number.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Are you trying to replace a remote control key board to a smart TV. if do you would have to find a way of first binding the remote to the TV.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Your problem is drivers for the wireless keyboard. I think its the Logitech K700 that works with the Sony. Research that model number.
I saw two posts that mentioned the Logitech K400 working. I think the Logitech K700 is a more advanced version that replaces the remote. I am just looking for a keyboard to use while browsing the internet otherwise the remote works fine for me.

I ordered the K400 yesterday.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:

I ordered the K400 yesterday.
I tried that keyboard on my Samsung Smart TV. It was moody with its connection. Personally I gave up on it and attached a Notebook to the TV via HDMI & used its WIFI to connect to the internet. The K400 worked fine in this manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers