Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 AM

157 posts, read 309,924 times

Advertisements

Made my decision and going tomorrow to purchase my first Mac, MacBook Air....

Heading to Micro Center in the morning...feel free to suggest any necessary or recommended peripherals and will need to transfer data from my Dell laptop...

Assume transferring iTunes library shouldn't be a big problem?

Probably will get the one with more storage.

Thanks all, C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
What kind of data are you looking to transfer?

Where is your iTunes music stored?

The Air is a sweet laptop. You'll love it.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM

I will be transferring photos, Word files and an iTunes library.

TurboTax files...etc.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
What's the probability there will be a new thread in the next three days about problems transferring an iTunes library?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Maybe the Mac Forum would be better?

C

Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times
My advice would to just use the migration assistant on the Mac to transfer your files. It's the quickest and easiest option. All you need is a USB cable.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM

718 posts, read 1,150,435 times
Not sure if they still do this at the Apple Store but a couple of years ago, a friend of mine bought his first Macbook. He brought his Dell laptop and the Apple Store employee helped him set up his new Macbook, including transfering all his files from the Dell to the Macbook, setting up iTunes, iPod files, etc....

If feasible for you, it might pay to buy your first Mac from the Apple Store. Excellent service is part of what you pay for when you buy a Mac.

Also, consider buying Applecare if you can. I believe you can also buy this later.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Not sure if they still do this at the Apple Store but a couple of years ago, a friend of mine bought his first Macbook. He brought his Dell laptop and the Apple Store employee helped him set up his new Macbook, including transfering all his files from the Dell to the Macbook, setting up iTunes, iPod files, etc....

If feasible for you, it might pay to buy your first Mac from the Apple Store. Excellent service is part of what you pay for when you buy a Mac.

Also, consider buying Applecare if you can. I believe you can also buy this later.
Yes, the Apple Store still does that for you. Just make an appointment at the genius bar!

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM

I was planning to go to Micro Center...a little cheaper than the Apple Store...but maybe it would be worthwhile to go to Apple instead...thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
Made my decision and going tomorrow to purchase my first Mac, MacBook Air....

Heading to Micro Center in the morning...feel free to suggest any necessary or recommended peripherals and will need to transfer data from my Dell laptop...

Probably will get the one with more storage.

Thanks all, C
I've had my 13" MacBook Air for a week and I love it. My first Mac as well. The battery life is insanely good.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...s-windows.html

I also picked up the 2TB Time Capsule for storage. It's a solid router as well with the new 802.11ac that the Air supports. Wi-Fi speed is rock solid.

I didn't have a problem transferring data from my old laptop... I did it all in a few hours with a 16GB memory card.

I got mine at Best Buy. 18 months no interest was too good to pass up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers