Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,820,903 times

Advertisements

2003 Sever mixed windows 7 client. A desktop would get an ip but couldn't ping the server. DHCP is handled by a router. I tracked it down to static arp entry created by an HP laptop running windows 7 Home edition. The static arp entry is on the server. The laptop uses wifi or wired and the hp software somehow manages which adapter to use.

How do I stop the laptop from creating static arp entries on the serve? Is this a windows 7 home thing or is it a security feature ? I created a job to delete the entry but I shouldn't have to , any ideas to prevent it from reoccurring ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,896,604 times
Could it be your router doing this, even tho you said you traced it down to the HP laptop doing this ?

I was under the assumption that the laptop only *reports it* ?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM

You are right , I don't know what is doing this , whether it be the router or laptop, technically I don't know what is creating the static entry. The server itself is probably creating it by itself, but I don't what is causing the server to do it . I'll rephrase it. If I check the arp table on the server , there is a Static ARP entry with the MAC address of the HP laptop's Wireless card, I don't remember if it had one for the Ethernet card too. It has nothing to do with the laptop "reporting it" because I am looking at it logged on locally on the server from a command prompt window. So technically the router could be adding the static ARP entry on the server , if that was the case, I'll change my question, how do I prevent my FIOS router adding the static arp entries on my 2003 server?

I hope I clarified my question to get a solution. I might have upgrade to Win 7 pro and see if the problem goes away. Otherwise I'll just setup a scheduled task to clear the arp table.

The arp table on the laptop to the server's IP shows as being dynamic

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,896,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
It has nothing to do with the laptop "reporting it"
OK, let me rephrase that ...

Whatever is generating that situation, the laptop is the unit which makes it possible to *see* that notation.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK, let me rephrase that ...

Whatever is generating that situation, the laptop is the unit which makes it possible to *see* that notation.
I can see it from logging in locally to the server, using the server keyboard and screen. I'll see if even if the laptop is powered off and off the networ.

The DHCP is the Verizon router, the range is 100 IP but have much few devices. The router hands out the IP address that it had previously sent to the laptop. Lets say the ip of the laptop was 192.168.1.44 and the laptop was removed from the network, physically off. The router will assign that same 192.168.1.44 to a desktop. This wouldn't be a problem but the arp table on the server has the MAC address of the laptop assigned to the .44 addresses, so the packets don't get to the desktop network for file sharing. It will work to the internet fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers