Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
This is my 2nd laptop (I've had it for 3 years) that has overheating issues. When my laptop overheats, it randomly shuts down.

I think I making a mistake by often purchasing laptops. Especially since it remains stationary like a desktop. And the only reason I dont buy a desktop is because its too big and I dont have the room for it.

So are there any computers that never overheats?

How do you know it's an overheat issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
I have 2 27" imacs (last years model at home and the previous generation in the office) both are on pretty much 7 days a week running demanding applications (Autocad/Rhino/Sketchup/Revit/Cinema 4d/V-ray/Adobe suite.) While they do get hot I have never had overheating issues.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well having two fans, more heatsinks and better placed air ports compared to a PC notebook makes a big difference.
PC notebooks are available with good cooling as well.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
PC notebooks are available with good cooling as well.
Gaming notebooks do. But situation sounds more like a ventilation problem. Since the OP seems to keep the notebook in one spot and has little room, the OP may want to look into purchasing a HP Slimline and a screen. HP Slimline has more ventilation openings than a all-in-one.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Gaming notebooks do. But situation sounds more like a ventilation problem. Since the OP seems to keep the notebook in one spot and has little room, the OP may want to look into purchasing a HP Slimline and a screen. HP Slimline has more ventilation openings than a all-in-one.
Not just gaming notebooks. ThinkPads are known for their thermal management.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have an all in one and have had for years and it has never over heated or randomly shut down for any reason.
Neither of my laptops have ever given me any issue with being too hot either but we have them on a stand that allows air flow all around them.
Can you link me to a great stand?

I found that lifting my laptop off the table helped.

For instance, there was a time where my laptop shut down, and when I tried to start it back up, it shut down again. I tried to start it back up again, and it shut down again. But when I lifted my laptop off the table while pushing power, my computer worked smoothly. I think its overheated and its not getting enough airflow. Its probably dusty too.

Possibly what caused this is that sometimes I leave my laptop running all night without shutting it off.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Newegg.com - Cooler Master NotePal CMC3 - Laptop Cooling Pad with 200 mm Silent Fan

Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Two laptops that overheat? Have you tried getting those "air cans" and blowing out the vent openings? It sounds like an AIO might overheat in your house, too. Dust your damn house!! hahaha Totally kidding.
Seriously though, this is NOT a common issue. Can you easily remove the keyboard (Google that to find out "Dell blablab Keyboard removal"... get in there with an air can and go to town.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 AM

131 posts, read 224,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Two laptops that overheat? Have you tried getting those "air cans" and blowing out the vent openings? It sounds like an AIO might overheat in your house, too.
This^. Before you buy a new comp, blow compressed air through the vent ports. BTDT, and the problem was resolved.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
There are 7 all-in-one HP pc's in the cafe at the gym where I go. They are always on, except when they are not being used and are in sleep mode, and they just keep on running. I use them when I'm there, 6 times a week. Never seen one down yet.

This is what they have:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+a...sp%3B800%3B600
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers