Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,867,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

But that doesn't address your inaccurate statements about this new version of Windows introducing compatibility issues. Just about everything that runs on Windows 7 runs on Windows 8. You're completely wrong if you think that businesses are going to need to purchase new software to resolve compatibility issues with Windows 8.
Here is an example of the issues those of us in the business world have hit with Win8Pro and the latest patch that came out a few weeks ago is still giving errors. I don't work with off consumer off shelf software.

https://community.oracle.com/thread/2470107?tstart=0

Yet the same software works flawlessly with Win7Pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,110,140 times
I haven't met anyone yet who likes Windows 8 better than 7. In fact, I know of several people who are holding off buying new computers in hopes that Windows 9 abandons many of W8's "innovations".

Old 02-16-2014, 02:46 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,361,769 times
I don't care that it's unpopular.. for me it works and I enjoy it and will continue to use windows 8.1 on all my computers. Once the learning curve is out of the way it's nice to put all those cluttered icons that would normally be on the desktop on the start screen and keep the desktop clean. Plus it's faster than windows 7 with better under the hood optimization.

I like it better, and both my mother and father like it better. Go figure. It's actually easier for people who don't normally use a computer much at all (so they aren't familiar with windows) to use... when I set up people's systems I tell them "when in doubt, press the windows key" and I set up all their programs to launch on the start screen. I admit I do not like the built in "apps" that are included and generally uninstall or remove them all including the "PDF" app (installing foxit) and the "photo" app (switch to using windows photo viewer instead). I don't need the weather app displayed, I'll just go to the NOAA or wunderground bookmarks I have.. stuff like that. News apps, business apps, a clock app.. all that stuff gets removed. I still use windows "programs" and not "apps"

I don't like how apps tend to hijack the screen and remove all the menu options.. I avoid the apps but use the start screen interface basically. Apps are for casual users and perhaps tablet users. I don't use windows on a tablet, I like to have the android operating environment for that purpose (though I've gotten my fill of it's limitations I can appreciate it's speed on small devices)

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM

217 posts, read 327,000 times
As previously pointed out, the numbers are quite skewed because businesses are jumping on the cheap Windows 7 as XP is moving towards extinction.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Here is an example of the issues those of us in the business world have hit with Win8Pro and the latest patch that came out a few weeks ago is still giving errors. I don't work with off consumer off shelf software.

https://community.oracle.com/thread/2470107?tstart=0

Yet the same software works flawlessly with Win7Pro.
This is a very unique scenario and is not going to play a part in 99% of the businesses out there. Businesses are not upgrading to Windows 8 because there's little added value when they already have Vista or 7. It's not because a very unique piece of software used with an old database is incompatible.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,331,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That difference will increase as we get closer to the de-support for XP, and continue as long as 7 is still available. Unfortunately there are very few new machines left that come with 7 installed, so many people are stuck with 8, or fixing their old computers instead of buying new.
HP has started using 7 as the normal software load. If you want 8 they'll install it but when 8 was the norm and 7 the option only some five percent of purchacers wanted 8 so they returned to 7 being the norm.

I'd buy refurbished over having to buy 8 and do not want any metro interface installed.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,687,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
HP has started using 7 as the normal software load. If you want 8 they'll install it but when 8 was the norm and 7 the option only some five percent of purchacers wanted 8 so they returned to 7 being the norm.
This simply isn't true.

HP is offering Win7 on exactly 2 towers and 2 laptops, and has 55 computers with Win8 on them.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM

7,344 posts, read 6,971,535 times
My lap top died window 7 and I loved it .
Went to buy a new one and no more 7 so I was talked into 8 . a flaming disappointment .
so I took it back and saw that the Mac had the same format ,aah so that's where it's going .
well I've had the mack for a while and though it starts instantly which is a perk ,I HATE APPS having to buy apps that don't work or are written by children or for children.
And though they say they are free that's a lie .
It's called bait and switch folks.
Yes this portion of a program is free, but you have to buy this special soft ware to use it. Which doesn't work on any thing else.
Spell check is embarrassing too .
Some times the auto correction is an other word that is completely wrong, and if you don't catch it the meaning is twisted.
I know that I have read things through before posting , but after posting and I happen to read it again letters are missing and I have to edit ,edit ,edit,
I miss the windows 7.
Can I have her back??

Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,116,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
Windows 7 is still growing faster by more than double by windows 8/8.1.

Windows 7: 20%
Windows 8/8.1: 9%
That's not surprising. Windows 8/8.1 is a horrific abortion of an operating system. I sincerely hope whomever came up with this atrocity was promptly fired from Microsoft.

Simply put, it sucks.

On another note, Windows 8/8.1 is one of the main reasons I started studying for my Red Hat certification.

Last edited by Annuvin; 02-22-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I'd buy refurbished over having to buy 8 and do not want any metro interface installed.
You are completely wrong. Why even post if you are unfamiliar with reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers