Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

I am a Mac girl but I purchased a personal computer because I am trying to obtain at home employment. The computer I purchased had threats of viruses and pop ups. I do not understand what is the problem. Why are brand new personal computers so prone to viruses? I've never had an issues with my Mac. I need a computer under $600.00 with the following specifications:

3.0 GHZ Processor (minimum of a Pentium 4 processor or equivalent processor running at a clock speed of 3.0 GHZ)
2 GB of RAM for Windows XP, Vista users* or Windows 7 users
12 GB of Available Hard drive space

I would appreciate any help. I would also like some information on anti virus software. The last computer I purchased was equipped with Macafee software. I returned the computer because of the issues it had within using it for only four hours. This is so frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
most of those popups are spam from websites. Use firefox and install adblock plus and perhaps noscript to stop the incessant popup crap. Even then watch out when installing flash or java, make sure to uncheck all the extra stuff they want to install. If you forget, download "malwarebytes" software and clean it up.

I've never gotten a virus or trojan and have been using windows all my life. Not saying it can't happen though if a person just downloads every instant messaging program or piece of software.. but mostly it's just adware designed to cost you money, not actually steal your financial information.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM

269 posts, read 296,018 times
I would recommend Microsoft security essentials. It's free and mostly stays out of your way.
Quote:
3.0 GHZ Processor
Clock speed is a poor performance indicator and even the budget CPUs will blow away a Pentium 4. Iif you don't need anything fancy, get a PC with one of the Haswell Celerons. They're cheap, consume little power, and are quite fast compared to the previous generations of Celeron processors.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
most of those popups are spam from websites. Use firefox and install adblock plus and perhaps noscript to stop the incessant popup crap. Even then watch out when installing flash or java, make sure to uncheck all the extra stuff they want to install. If you forget, download "malwarebytes" software and clean it up.

I've never gotten a virus or trojan and have been using windows all my life. Not saying it can't happen though if a person just downloads every instant messaging program or piece of software.. but mostly it's just adware designed to cost you money, not actually steal your financial information.
Really. What brand of computer do you have? I have to install Java to use special software. I got this message in red telling me my computer may be infected. I took it to geek squad and he told me that it was not infected but on the verge of being infected. I decided to return it. I need to purchase one to get a telecommuting position.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
I would recommend Microsoft security essentials. It's free and mostly stays out of your way.

Clock speed is a poor performance indicator and even the budget CPUs will blow away a Pentium 4. Iif you don't need anything fancy, get a PC with one of the Haswell Celerons. They're cheap, consume little power, and are quite fast compared to the previous generations of Celeron processors.
I need a computer with those specifications.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Desktop or Notebook?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am a Mac girl but I purchased a personal computer because I am trying to obtain at home employment. The computer I purchased had threats of viruses and pop ups. I do not understand what is the problem. Why are brand new personal computers so prone to viruses? I've never had an issues with my Mac. I need a computer under $600.00 with the following specifications:

3.0 GHZ Processor (minimum of a Pentium 4 processor or equivalent processor running at a clock speed of 3.0 GHZ)

I would appreciate any help. I would also like some information on anti virus software. The last computer I purchased was equipped with Macafee software. I returned the computer because of the issues it had within using it for only four hours. This is so frustrating.
Unless to can find a used computer on craigslist, your spec list cost is going to be nearly double using name brand computers. I've used Norton Internet Security and Norton Utilities and never had a problem with mu computers.

As a Mac user Win7 will be much easier to get used to.

If you need to shop at BestBuy, then from what I see for desktops is :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prodesk-400-g1-desktop-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/4144092.p;jsessionid=6713AB99FAEF810725718ACF09580 F81.bbolsp-app02-178?id=1219096792739&skuId=4144092&st=categoryid$a bcat0501000&cp=1&lp=13

And monitor:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/19-5-led-hd-monitor/8662183.p;jsessionid=C97E19BB6419E0D373E05D069BFA7 CBD.bbolsp-app01-119?id=1218882668389&skuId=8662183&st=pcmcat143700 050048_categoryid$abcat0509000&cp=1&lp=4

If you uncomfortable doing the swtup, dont let geek squad touch it. Take it over the Staples to clean off the garbage software and load the stuff you need. If you also need office, look on online for the student version 2010.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:49 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:

All computers are prone to viruses. Doesn't matter if they are new or used.

Mac probably has fewer people creating viruses for them, since Macs aren't used as much as PCs.

When you buy a new Windows PC, before you browse the internet, make sure you have anti-virus software running, and make sure Windows Firewall is turned on and protecting your PC.

Microsoft has very good free anti-virus software for Windows 8 called "Defender". It was previously called "Microsoft Security Essentials" or "MSE".

When you browse the internet, you may see advertisements or pop-up ads which try to get you to click on links to buy programs to "fix" your PC to make it run faster, or "protect it" from threats such as viruses.

These types of advertisements play on your fears, by scaring you into thinking you have problems.

They are just advertisements meant to make other people money by selling you software you probably don't need. I would just ignore them.

Just install a good anti-virus program like Microsoft Defender, and you should be fine.

I've been using MSE for years on Windows XP, and never had issues. I now use Defender on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

You can set your internet browser to "block" pop-up ads. That will eliminate most of these garbage advertisements.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser. I highly recommend it. It has many 3rd party plug-ins available for blocking ads such as Adblock-Plus.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
All computers are prone to viruses. Doesn't matter if they are new or used.

Mac probably has fewer people creating viruses for them, since Macs aren't used as much as PCs.

When you buy a new Windows PC, before you browse the internet, is make sure you have anti-virus software running, and make sure Windows Firewall is turned on and protecting your PC.

Microsoft has very good free anti-virus software for Windows 8 called "Defender". It was previously called "Microsoft Security Essentials" or "MSE".

When you browse the internet, you may see advertisements or pop-up ads which try to get you to click on links to buy programs to "fix" your PC to make it run faster, or "protect it" from threats such as viruses.

These types of advertisements play on your fears, by scaring you into thinking you have problems.

They are just advertisements meant to make other people money by selling you software you probably don't need. I would just ignore them.

Just install a good anti-virus program like Microsoft Defender, and you should be fine.

I've been using MSE for years on Windows XP, and never had issues. I now use Defender on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

You can set your internet browser to "block" pop-up ads. That will eliminate most of these garbage advertisements.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser. I highly recommend it. It has many 3rd party plug-ins available for blocking ads such as Adblock-Plus.
When I purchase the computer, do I download defender from the internet or do I need a cd? Should I remove mcafee? Do you prefer a particular brand of computer? Thanks for breaking it down in layman's terms.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
When I purchase the computer, do I download defender from the internet or do I need a cd? Should I remove mcafee? Do you prefer a particular brand of computer? Thanks for breaking it down in layman's terms.
You can download Defender for free from Microsoft's website, if it already isn't present on your PC. No need for a CD.

Microsoft will then automatically update (via the internet) the Defender virus definitions on your PC whenever new ones are available.

Microsoft will also automatically update Windows (via the internet) as well, whenever any new updates to the OS are available.

Yes, I would remove McAfee. Just run Defender by itself.

As far as Windows based computer brands go, Dell is very good. HP/Compaq is also good. Both have been around for many many years.

ASUS has for a long time been an excellent brand of motherboards and video cards. Now they make tablets and PCs, so I would recommend them as well.

Acer was previously a great brand for computer monitors. Now they make computers. I would also recommend them.

Sony has been around forever, so another great brand.

Lenovo is a relatively new company, and I think more of a budget brand of computers.

The thing about computers, is you get what you pay for. The more money you spend, the more you get.

If you spend less, you'll get a slower PC running a budget processor such as an Intel Celeron processor, with minimal graphics capabilities (likely built into the motherboard), and minimal RAM memory, and a small hard-drive. These types of computers are good for people who just want them to browse the internet, use word processors, and other business type uses.

If you spend more, you'll get a faster PC, with a fast processor such as an Intel I7 Quad Core processor, a high level graphic card, more RAM memory, and a large hard-drive. These types of computers are typically used by "gamers" who require fast PCs for playing the high-graphics types of games being created today. They are also used by people who require fast PCs for other types of graphic demanding applications such as CAD and photo editing.

So just decide what you plan to do with your PC, and go from there.

My personal preference is Dell.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-25-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers