Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,213,773 times

Advertisements

The Microsoft blame game...

Quote:
Microsoft blames PC makers for underwhelming Windows 8 sales over Christmas. The software giant accused manufacturers of not building enough attractive Win 8-powered touchscreen tablets.

PC makers, though, are hitting back after Redmond's finger-pointing - countering that if they’d followed Microsoft’s advice they’d have ended up building very expensive tablets and would have been saddled with the costs of a huge piles of unsold units. Those who did buy Windows 8 PCs ultimately bought the cheap laptops not high-end Ultrabooks or hybrids.

On those Q4 sales, Microsoft claimed 60 million Windows 8 licences had been sold to date - pointing to comments made by Windows division chief financial officer and chief marketing officer Tami Reller at a JP Morgan conference.

Microsoft did say that the figure of 60 million could be attributed to upgrades and sales to manufacturers – so not sales of actual PCs to the end user.
Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed The Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,846,506 times
Oh the fun and games of finger pointing have started. lol

I am on the manufacturers' side on this one. If they would have built numerous models of Windows 8 tablets, they would be having to discount and give them away now or very soon. I mean Microsoft had plenty of Surface Tablets available to more than meet demand. The problem is the consumer doesn't like it or maybe the consumer says "Hey if I am going to have to completely learn a new interface and OS anyway, I would rather buy an Android or iPad."

That 60 million number they have been throwing around includes licenses sold to manufacturers that haven't even used them yet. It is way, way overinflated for the actual number of copies actually in use.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
If Microslop would have created an interface that the average user was comfortable with the sales probably would have doubled. I'd love to know how many people went looking for a new PC before Christmas saw Win8, and walked away.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If Microslop would have created an interface that the average user was comfortable with the sales probably would have doubled. I'd love to know how many people went looking for a new PC before Christmas saw Win8, and walked away.
Pretty much. It takes a lot of tweaks and teaching to make a Win8 machine usable for the average user. I like what they've done with the desktop but Metro is a useless slap in the face and I don't like all the stuff they removed.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,213,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Pretty much. It takes a lot of tweaks and teaching to make a Win8 machine usable for the average user. I like what they've done with the desktop but Metro is a useless slap in the face and I don't like all the stuff they removed.
And that's a major problem, Windows 8 takes lots of teaching, the users opted out and bought competitors gear...

The days are past when the bully on the block pulls the strings...

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,277,006 times
Office Depot has been running ads for a huge sale of all Windows 8 products, a hundred off on a tablet. Kinda suggests it isn't selling too well. Stores have set up displays and let people play with it hoping for more sales, but the basic situation Microsoft doesn't want to admit is an awful lot of people DO NOT LIKE IT and will not spend the money on it. As some are still running xp, this shows that you don't have to rush to the next 'improvement' no matter what microsoft says.

Some people use computers to do facebook and games. Many others have more diverse uses. I run all my music off the computer to the drv and speakers while doing other thngs. The start button is a case in point. Why NOT have a central control hub which doesn't require a window? Why break what wasn't broken?

I have no desire to relearn things, and don't want a mac. But if I were to buy a tablet, it wouldn't be one with Win 8 just on principal.

How many people are taking their savings at Office Depot, and taking the new system to a shop and having 8 wiped and 7 put in its place?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I bought a new one for the business and I bought it from a guy who agreed to install Win 7 before I bought it. I didn't like the look of the new interface *at all*. I am not interested in all the "internet" bells and whistles. I just want a freaking computer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,277,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I bought a new one for the business and I bought it from a guy who agreed to install Win 7 before I bought it. I didn't like the look of the new interface *at all*. I am not interested in all the "internet" bells and whistles. I just want a freaking computer.

20yrsinBranson
Before Vista went away, most of the chains were offering you a choice of which operationg system you wanted. Vista was not the default. I see the same thing happening with 8 since stores would really like to sell the stuff they have on the shelves.

I wonder how many 8 systems have been bought on sale with that in mind.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,341,529 times
Funny how Intel is also ditching the PC MOBO at the same time wwindows 8 is blaming PC manufactures for not switching to Win 8 and stick with windows 7.

Kind of like Intel and Microsoft are saying if you will not switch to using win 8 Osx by it being so great and it is just better in every to windows 7 tthat you will shell out the money to upgrade non your own but now it is like Intel and Microsoft are trying to kill of the PC and get people to buy their Intel powered, Windows 8 tablets.

I mean any one else wonder why Microsoft is trying to buy out Dell which has both home PC and small and medium business PC lines and and alienate Dell acquired themselves to be their offering into the high-end gaming PC line ups.

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-27-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,940 times
Why Microsoft continues to force things on the consumer is beyond me. They should have learned their lesson ages ago. Just look at every other OS they have come out with that had MAJOR bugs and issues with (e.g. Vista). XP was just fine but no, they had to come out with Vista to make it look more trendy and it sucked. Windows 7 was good but no, Windows 8 with all the wacky features, had to be released to give the consumer a new OS that actually no one really wanted. Where's the logic in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers