Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times

Advertisements

Had a weird problem tonight with Comcast, our Motorola SB5101U Cable model, and Belkin N150 wifi router.

The internet stopped working on the wifi. Oddly enough I could still talk to the router over the wifi via it's IP address and I could still connect via the wifi to the wireless printer by putting it's IP address in my browser. So, the WIFI worked but not the internet.

I then unplugged the cat 5 cable from the wifi router and put it straight into my laptop. Internet works great.

Reset the modem to factory settings, reset the router to factory settings, and plugged the router back into the modem then cloned the mac address via the router's settings page. Nothing.

Gave up and called Comcast. They said they "Sent a signal to the modem" and poof the router suddenly sees the internet again.

I asked the representative to go a head and tell what he just did. I asked him to use big words and overwhelm me with tech speak. He clarified - "Sent a signal to the modem". He did remind me that my modem is old and needs to be upgraded.

We are only paying for their 25mbps service and don't need a new modem for those speeds. The connection speed tests at the speed we are paying for.

Any clue on what was done on Comcast's end? One thing he did mention is that internet signal coming from the modem may have been so weak that the router didn't even detect internet was available.

Here are the signals as reported by the modem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
We ran into this a couple of years ago. Replaced the modem and router. Fixed. Modem was free from Mediacom - a swap - and we bought a router. Apparently our signal strength really sucked.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
This guy has a similar problem and people think it's Comcast screwing with DOCSIS 2 modems.
The solution seems to be to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r295...01U-router-EOL

Old 09-14-2014, 03:23 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
It is apparently something on their side, I don't buy the internet is too weak since it works with your laptop. Have you consider a poor cable connection to you router, do you mischievous pets? Another thing which is pure speculation, they blocked you based on a device sitting behind the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
This guy has a similar problem and people think it's Comcast screwing with DOCSIS 2 modems.

[Connectivity] Lost connection with Comcast, blamed on SB101U router EOL - Comcast HSI | DSLReports Forums
The article doesn't apply since the connection worked fine via cabled Ethernet.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:

[Connectivity] Lost connection with Comcast, blamed on SB101U router EOL - Comcast HSI | DSLReports Forums
Not at all out of the question. I made the mistake of switching from an owned modem to a Comcast XB3 gateway when I switched to their triple play service. The wireless section lasted a whole 2 months before it died. Slapped in my own router and the modem section died 2 months later. Called to get my owned Docsis 2 re activated and they refused, seems they'll only allow Docsis 3's now.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Comcast has been pushing subscribers to upgrade their modems to Docsis 3. Modem renters were upgraded to modem/wifi router SMC gateways. So basically for owners, they've been lowering their support for Docsis 2 and basically forcing people to upgrade. You might as well upgrade your modem and upgrade your router, because what usually follows is free upgrades (at least for a few years) in speed.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,523 times
Quote:

I didn't read the linked article or this entire thread.

But Comcast (or Time Warner or any other cable company) trying to force the DOCSIS2 modems out is what I also think it is. Depending where you are, if you have legacy DOCSIS2 users on the system, it slows down the entire system. iirc, people in some of the larger cities had to replace their modems with DOCSIS3. All of Time Warner's approved list of modems are DOCSIS3 now.

I have been having the same Interent problem the OP describes. I also have a Motorola SB5101U, one that I own. I got DTA boxes from Time Warner and installed them about 2 months ago. I installed and activated one box, then I added the second box later that day. When I added the 2nd box, something TW did killed the Internet connection. I called, and they kicked it up to the level 2 support, and they "sent a signal to the modem" yadda yadda, but that didn't fix the Internet. I spent 2 hours repeatedly unplugging and resetting modem and wifi router to no avail, then I gave up. I figured it was the modem, which was a leased one from Time Warner. Last year, Surfboard SB5101U was still on the approved list for owner-purchase. I found a used one for $5 at a local thrift shop in 2011, so I duge it out and put it into service since the TW leased modem was apparently dead.

I connected my thrift store modem, called up TW, gave them the MAC, they looked through all the stuff on their end and said "That's an old modem. We actually don't even offer that model anymore." I countered that I am leasing that same thing from TW and thus it must still be okay to use since TW wasn't sending me a replacement. My thrift store modem also would not work. Later in the day, the problem mysteriously resolved itself. But periodically since then, usually between 5 and 6 AM, my wifi adapter will tell me "No Internet Connection" but the router is working properly. I have two routers, and I even changed routers for giggles, and still no wifi Internet. Then the problem will resolve itself within a half hour.

So when this happens now, I know to just wait and it will pass. The DOCSIS3 modem I am interested in just recently became available, and I want to wait to see what kind of reviews it gets. I don't want to pay top dollar for other stuff that's already 2-4 years old technology. That's why I am still running a thrift store modem. lol

eta: I have been having this weirdness with the Internet connection ever since I installed and activated the 2 DAT boxes. If you go to the Time Warner forum, there is a woman there who used to work for Motorola and she seems to have a good handle on how Time Warner communicates with and manipulates modems. But yeah, I have had this exact problem as the OP, with the same model of Surfboard modem. My routers are Netgear WNDR3400 V1 and WNR2000, I don't know what version. I can just about count on having Internet drop out between 5AM and 6 or 7AM.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 09-14-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers