Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 01:30 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times

Advertisements

My laptop (an Asus) has been doing this occasionally as of late. I'll be using the internet and then it will suddenly lose the connection. I'll check the modem and the internet will still be up. I'll pull up the available wifi networks and will see my home network online. I'll click "connect" and it will try to connect but then will say unable to connect to the network and offer no further explanation. Usually I'll just restart it a few times and eventually it will reconnect automatically. It just happened to me again today and I'll 99% certain it's the fault of this computer, not my internet connection.

Any ideas on what may be causing this or how to fix it? My laptop is out of warranty, conveniently enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Does the laptop drop connections outside of your home network (try it at a hotspot)? If not, then it's potentially your router.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Does the laptop drop connections outside of your home network (try it at a hotspot)? If not, then it's potentially your router.
I've only used it basically as a desktop. I've never taken it anywhere. My other computer doesn't have this problem. Nobody else in the house seems to have this problem with their laptops and the blu-ray players don't lose their internet connection spontaneously.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've only used it basically as a desktop. I've never taken it anywhere. My other computer doesn't have this problem. Nobody else in the house seems to have this problem with their laptops and the blu-ray players don't lose their internet connection spontaneously.
Check the Asus support site for an updated driver, could also be a failing wifi card or malware.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I 2nd this suggestion

Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
My laptop, an HP Sleekbook, has been doing this for the past couple of weeks. OP, you are not alone.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
Fwiw, I have seen several wifi cards with "power saver" features that will turn off the wifi antenna because they incorrectly think you are not connected. The net result is "limited connectivity" messages and no easy way to get reconnected without a restart.

If you can find your adapter settings, try the power management/saving options and turn off anything that wants to "help" you out by saving power. Usually its something like "allow the computer to turn this off to save power".

Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
My laptop (an Asus) has been doing this occasionally as of late. I'll be using the internet and then it will suddenly lose the connection. I'll check the modem and the internet will still be up. I'll pull up the available wifi networks and will see my home network online. I'll click "connect" and it will try to connect but then will say unable to connect to the network and offer no further explanation. Usually I'll just restart it a few times and eventually it will reconnect automatically. It just happened to me again today and I'll 99% certain it's the fault of this computer, not my internet connection.

Any ideas on what may be causing this or how to fix it? My laptop is out of warranty, conveniently enough...

How old is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers