Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times

Advertisements

They complain that they are not selling enough music, then do something like this. They are causing themselves problems, its not the consumer that is causing the problems for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
RIAA:

If I copied music from my personal CD's and sold the discs, etc. that is one thing and I would certainly understand being sued by the RIAA.

Now; if I copied music for my personal use only....

Besides; say I had a vintage LP and it was not available on CD, etc. and I wanted to listen to it in my car?

Jeez.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
RIAA:

If I copied music from my personal CD's and sold the discs, etc. that is one thing and I would certainly understand being sued by the RIAA.

Now; if I copied music for my personal use only....

Besides; say I had a vintage LP and it was not available on CD, etc. and I wanted to listen to it in my car?

Jeez.
Thats something i have wondered about too..... I have a lot of stuff on vinyl that never came out on CD!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
All my digital music was copied from my analog records. I have never purchased a CD or have any music from the 70's to now. If the MPAA wants to see my files on my computer they will have their agents swimming with the sharks.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
All my digital music was copied from my analog records. I have never purchased a CD or have any music from the 70's to now. If the MPAA wants to see my files on my computer they will have their agents swimming with the sharks.
LOL, we got gator holes here, I am with you on that! Should'nt the gov't be worried about real issues?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That's why I bought my Philips CD burner almost ten years ago (before CD burning on PCs was common practice). It's squeaky-clean legal, and the music folks get their cut because of the CD-R blanks it uses.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
Not to mention, I don't see any of these artists hurting for a buck.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Not to mention, I don't see any of these artists hurting for a buck.
Actually if you want to know the truth most artist make little to nothing off records. The way the system works is that when an artist makes a record the record company recoups all of its cost associated with that record before the artist gets a penny! That includes all the studio time, all the technical, promotions, demos, distribution and talent that went into the record. The fact is that only a few records ever make a dime over cost. You have to sell about half a million of them to do so and even after that the record company keeps the lions share of the money. The artist might get 50 cents a CD after he sells a half million or so. The artist make their money by living on the road. Live concerts is where they rake in the dough. A good artist can make more in a few shows more than he made on record sales for a year. That is why you really do not hear most artist bitching too much about people downloading their stuff. Most of them really don't care. Some of them figure the more you hear their material, the more likely you will come to their shows and buy their T shirts and hats and that is the way they get paid. That is why many of them only recorded a few albums (the minimum often set by their contract with the record company) and then spend the next 30 years on the concert circuit.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
LOTS of good comments on this thread. I posted this on the music thread so FWIW I'm putting it on here. In the late 70's album sales were at their highest point ever. But cassettes were slipping in sales. So around 1980 or so the Record industry started this campaign to the public about how Maxell, BASF, Memorex, and other related companies were costing them money in cassette sales. So they started sounding the mantra - "Home Taping Is Killing Music." Overseas, they carried it a step further. I bought a fair amount of vinyl overseas (still do), and on a number of the white generic paper sleeves was a cassette printed in black with skull bones across it and the "Home Taping Is Killing Music." This was maybe three years before compact discs were introduced to the public. If memory serves, music reps went to Congress and Senate to state their case.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Those news articles are misreporting the story.

If you look at the actual complaint, the suit has two angles to it:

1) Whether it's legal or not to store your music on a shared file that is accessible to others via the internet (KaZAa files, etc.), and if you are complicit to illegal downloads should your music be shared with others.

2) Whether it's legal or not to convert music you paid for to an Mp3. There is no question it is legal to have a personal backup copy of your music - the issue is converting the format into a new copy, and where you store that music.

There is legitimacy to both arguments, although less so for the latter. An analogy for converting your music to Mp3 could be similar to converting an LP or CD to cassette for backup - both involve music conversion from one format to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers