Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times

Advertisements

I am using Google Maps, the PC on a web browser, to pan around a given area and "mark" certain points to check out later. Think "dropped pins." I would like a way to document these points by "sharing" them, NOT by "starring" them.

In Google Earth, I can do this by noticing the GPS coordinates on the bottom and typing those in Notepad, with descriptions. However, in Google Maps on the PC in a web browser, I see no such ability. It does not "reveal" the coordinates, and there is no way to "drop a pin" at a given site anyway, or to "share" it--that I see anyway, and I've tried both in the current version and "classic" version of Google Maps.

Tips? I can't find much other than this link (https://productforums.google.com/for...ps/HnZTwxTfCEo).

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-03-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,462 times
The URL changes every time you move the map or do anything in it, so you could just send the URL to whoever or wherever you're sharing to. I do often think back to the glory days of maps, before the most current iteration. It was much easier to drop custom pins and get information about them.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:56 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
On my Mac w/FF browser, if you point the cursor at a spot you want to mark, then right click and select "What's here", a pin appears at that spot , and the coordinates appear in the search box at top of screen. You can then click the Link icon and copy the URL, and paste into an email or Notepad, etc. Or click the "more" popup and Send an e-mail with the map and coordinates, or send to a car's Nav System.

Here is an example
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.75...num=1&t=h&z=13

FWIW, it appears you can only do one "pin" per map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers