Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
For my last computer (the one I'm using now) I'm connected to the internet with an ethernet cable which is also attached to my cable modem... can someone tell me what had been done to the computer to allow it to be connected in that way? Was a router used? Or, what?
Does the modem have multiple ethernet ports? If it does, it's probably a router and modem in one. If it only has one, you'll need to buy a router (if you need multiple computers connected at once).

It's pretty much plug and play. Plug the new computer into the modem (if it has extra ports) or router (if you need a router). You may have to walk through a simple setup process for the router but they all come with very detailed instructions to do that.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
For my last computer (the one I'm using now) I'm connected to the internet with an ethernet cable which is also attached to my cable modem... can someone tell me what had been done to the computer to allow it to be connected in that way? Was a router used? Or, what?
Modems usually come a ethernet hole. If you wanted to add additional computers to it, then you'd get a router which would have additional holes and add WIFI.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
As it turns out, I decided to do just that and bought one only moments ago.
What is your current printer? (name and model number)

Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
If you have a printer with a parallel port then just trash it... seriously.

USB and wireless printers are so incredibly cheap and COME with an ink cartridge (it's a starter so it's about half capacity, but still!). Just about any printer will be superior to your old one.

You don't even need to go to a tech store for something like that... just drop in at virtually any retail store.

edit: Since I don't know if you follow me when I say "parallel" port... here's what one looks like!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If you have a printer with a parallel port then just trash it... seriously.

USB and wireless printers are so incredibly cheap and COME with an ink cartridge (it's a starter so it's about half capacity, but still!). Just about any printer will be superior to your old one.

You don't even need to go to a tech store for something like that... just drop in at virtually any retail store.

edit: Since I don't know if you follow me when I say "parallel" port... here's what one looks like!
If you would have bothered to read all the posts you could have saved the time and effort. The OP has already bought a new printer.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you would have bothered to read all the posts you could have saved the time and effort. The OP has already bought a new printer.
Congratulations for catching that all on your own! You get a gold star

I was trying to be helpful, I missed that one post as I was doing multiple things at once. I guess you'd just like to be a jerk because you can though...

Oh well!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM

248 posts, read 259,341 times
No offense intended, but it boggles my mind that someone that knows this little about computers would spend (presumably) $1000+ on a gaming pc..
There's a good chance it has a wireless card. If you have a wireless router you won't need to worry about Ethernet cables. What's the model of the PC?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Well according to #9, it's sort of in the gray area if the OP ordered a new printer or ordered the cable as the response could go in either direction.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
No offense intended, but it boggles my mind that someone that knows this little about computers would spend (presumably) $1000+ on a gaming pc..
There's a good chance it has a wireless card. If you have a wireless router you won't need to worry about Ethernet cables. What's the model of the PC?
Don't presume or assume anything as there are multiple vendors right now calling their computers "Gaming" and selling them for around $400. And in reality they're not.

Example:

iBUYPOWER Black GAMER WA540B Gaming Desktop PC with AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core Processor, 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1 (Monitor Not Included) - Walmart.com

Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Just got home after being away all afternoon. I appreciate all the help.

I have no interest in connecting to any computer but the one I use. No, my new one doesn't have a wireless router. If it did I wouldn't have asked what I asked. No. I didn't spend $1000. for the machine. The nearest I've ever come close to a thousand for a computer is when I bought the parts and built my own. It lasted 10 years and was great. There is a lot I don't know, but there's a lot I do know. When I don't know I try to find out by talking to a tech or asking in this forum. I fully understand everyone will not approve of what is posted, but for those who are willing to assist, much appreciation. There is only one ethernet port on my modem.

Now I'll repost my question asked upthread:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers