Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 07:07 AM

205 posts, read 186,405 times

Advertisements

I signed up for Windows 10 when it first became available to do so, in late May or early June. Since July 29, every morning Windows attempts to update my computer to Win 10, every time it fails. I have not received any notification from Microsoft that my PC is ready, but there is still an icon on my shut down tab. However there is no notice in Available Updates that lets me know what that particular update is and what it is for. I did install the latest round of 25 on 8/12. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,029,654 times
I'm not quite sure what your question is. If you are wanting to install the Windows 10 upgrade use this tool.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,875,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'm not quite sure what your question is. If you are wanting to install the Windows 10 upgrade use this tool.

I did the upgrade and *was* almost ready to give up after using it a few weeks.
Certain programmes, I do use, crashed a few times, the explorer (looking at directories) often froze, etc.
All a bunch of little but obnoxious things. Not all the time, just once and while.
By the way, the update process itself did not go *smoothly* as some others posters have mentioned.
It took a couple times to get *all* done !

However ... It seems that I have already received a few Win10 Updates,
because of the statement on the screen like *do not turn you computer off* blah blah blah ...

So slow but sure it *seems* that Win 10 is beginning to run better on *my* machine ...
How do I *know* ??
Less freezing and or crashes, but I have not changed my working schedule at all.
I still do all the same things, day and day out.

What I like to know, is *how* do I make a DVD or ??,
that will allow me to do a clean install from scratch,
if and when my machine totally goes south ?
Is the whole Win10 file somewhere on my computer ?
If yes where ?

The link provided by NHDave shows a way to do a clean install, but it says to use the ISO.
So where is this ISO, or do I have to download the whole thing again ?

For info, I have the following:
HP laptop which originally came with Win7 Home Premium.
I upgraded to Win7 Ult (paid for media)
Because of all the warnings that were posted before Win10,
I added another 1 Tb backup Drive, and made a image of the system before the update and created a backup schedule for all the *new* files.
After the Win10 update, I made another system image for Justin Case of the Win 10 set-up.
I have all my pertinent files backed up and all my software is legal.
Some of them are allowed on two systems for Office and Home use.
My grand kids get on my machine and play *their* games,
and once and a while I get a PUP which is then removed by my security software.

In the end, I am *with* Microsoft and willing to *work* with them.
Somewhere I have to give them credit for doing the right thing,
whatever that may be ... right or wrong ... who am I to judge ?
They are humans after all, and we know one thing for sure and
that is that humans can really goof things up !!

So, How do I make a thingy to be able to do a clean install from scratch ?
Thanks for the help !!

Old 08-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
So, How do I make a thingy to be able to do a clean install from scratch ?
Thanks for the help !!
It's been covered in 1 or 2 threads on CD. See below for info

Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10 | ZDNet

Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I guess I was a little vague in my first post. I am more concerned at this point with the update icon that appears on my shut down tab in the start menu, for no apparent reason. What steps should I take short of installing this particular update to try and find out exactly what it is? As I said before, it does not show in the available updates section of the Windows Update screen. The only updates shown are optional.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,875,584 times
Quote:
It's been covered in 1 or 2 threads on CD. See below for info

Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10 | ZDNet
Thanks, got it done !!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckriverkid View Post
Thanks for the response. I guess I was a little vague in my first post. I am more concerned at this point with the update icon that appears on my shut down tab in the start menu, for no apparent reason. What steps should I take short of installing this particular update to try and find out exactly what it is? As I said before, it does not show in the available updates section of the Windows Update screen. The only updates shown are optional.
Ok, I get what you're saying now. I don't recall having that issue before, I'd guess that it's not the Windows 10 upgrade that would be installed but you never know because, Microsoft.

Try shutting down with installing updates Trick Windows Into Shutting Down Without Installing Updates

Then restart and see if it still wants to install updates when you shut down again.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, I get what you're saying now. I don't recall having that issue before, I'd guess that it's not the Windows 10 upgrade that would be installed but you never know because, Microsoft.

Try shutting down with installing updates Trick Windows Into Shutting Down Without Installing Updates

Then restart and see if it still wants to install updates when you shut down again.
Thanks again. I did a system backup then went ahead and shut the computer down to see what the update was; it turned out to be nothing as there was no update installed. Never had this happen before so I was a little puzzled and worried considering the various bad reviews I read on c-d about win10. I did see on the update status for the win10 update that some of my critical hardware components made by Intel don't have drivers for Windows 10 yet. Guess I am still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers