Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:48 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I recently bought a 22" widescreen to replace my 19" square (1280x1024). I considered 27s, but decided they were too big, since I sit fairly close to it, like you.

My 10-year old 19" Samsung looked as good as the day I bought it, but more and more sites have gone to a wide-screen format. So, increasingly, I found myself having to scroll back and forth horizontally to see the whole screen. The widescreen eliminates that need and is great for having two documents side-by-side.

Like you, my eyes aren't what they once were. Most text was quite small on the new widescreen with its 1920x1080 resolution, so I upped it to 158% of normal in the display properties. Now it's perfect.

Would you still go with a 22", or if you were to do it again, would you go a little bigger (24-25")? Or it doesn't really matter, as 22" is big enough for side by side, and you can still up the font size without issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Any other favorite models?

Or issues with optimal resolutions needed for monitors this size range?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Would you still go with a 22", or if you were to do it again, would you go a little bigger (24-25")? Or it doesn't really matter, as 22" is big enough for side by side, and you can still up the font size without issue?
I'm partial to Samsung and this Samsung 22 was an especially good deal on the day I shopped. And, the 22" size is about perfect for my preferred distance. Any further away than about 20" and I have to put on my glasses and I much prefer to work without them.

Generally, would I consider a 24-25? Sure, and I think I did that day but liked this model better overall. Of course, any time you increase the font size, you are going to get less on the screen. But yes, the 22 is still big enough for side by side, with a little compromise.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
I recently bought a 22" widescreen to replace my 19" square (1280x1024). I considered 27s, but decided they were too big, since I sit fairly close to it, like you.
The 19 square has the largest pixel pitch of mainstream monitors making it the easiest to read without changing settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I only own a laptop. Right now it's a Dell inspiron 1545. The plan is to ultimately upgrade to a lighter model (as I carry it daily) - as light as I can afford, but probably not a Dell. Maybe an ASUS or a Mac in the future.

But first, I would like to purchase a good monitor that I can keep on my desk at home, and attach my laptop to so I have a more ergonomic home "work station". My desk is a simple one, and the monitor would probably be around ?1.5 to 2 feet away from where I sit.

I use my computer primarily for writing/reading text documents, internet research/surfing, rarely for watching videos/TV. No gaming. Having two documents open side by side would be convenient, or one document and an internet browser.

I like to buy excellent quality for a good price, and keep it until it dies/repair as needed.

Does 27" sound reasonable, or is that too big?

Any recommendations for models?

Ideally, I'd like something compatible with my current computer, and with either a PC or Mac for when I upgrade in the future.
Don't skimp out on the monitor stand, that alone will probably be $50 of the price of the monitor.

1080p monitors are the cheapest and offers the best compatibility with older laptops.

It looks like your laptop doesn't have an HDMI port, so you'll need a VGA port on the monitor or get some type of adapter.

I think 27 inch 1080p would be too big but a 27" 1440 would not. I'm on the losing side of monitor preferences. I like 1920 x 1200 but they are no longer easy to find. They've gone to 1080 and 1440. My next monitor will probably be a 34" ultra wide and replace my dual 27" when one dies.

You might want to get a cheap monitor now and get a new one when you get a new laptop/computer in the future.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The 19 square has the largest pixel pitch of mainstream monitors making it the easiest to read without changing settings.
  • Settings are easy to change
  • With everything moving to widescreen, that square format is quite limiting and becoming obsolete

Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
  • With everything moving to widescreen, that square format is quite limiting and becoming obsolete
Not to mention with Windows 7 and anything newer it will adjust automatically.
"Square" monitors should not even be made any more. Period. You cannot give me one good reason to believe that.

Get the Asus Monitor I posted. Thread over. And I'm not just guessing...I am staring at 2 of them on my desk right now. They are fantastic.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
I saw this $699 4K LG monitor at Fry's and it's awesome!

FRYS.com*|*LG

There is a cheaper one too!

FRYS.com*|*LG

Old 06-10-2016, 01:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
I disagree, whether browsing or doing scripting, I actually prefer height over width but then again, I might be a minority in that regard?

A 27" wide screen LCD has almost the same height as an old school 22" monitor.
At work I use 3x 24" wide screen Dell U2410s in vertical position since I am also mostly vertical when working!

Having 2x 24" old style monitors positioned horizontally would actually be my preference though.

Also, at home I opt out for this 34" beauty which is awesome (though I wish the curve was a bit more pronounced and couple of inches higher):

Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I disagree, whether browsing or doing scripting, I actually prefer height over width but then again, I might be a minority in that regard?

A 27" wide screen LCD has almost the same height as an old school 22" monitor.
At work I use 3x 24" wide screen Dell U2410s in vertical position since I am also mostly vertical when working!

Having 2x 24" old style monitors positioned horizontally would actually be my preference though.

Also, at home I opt out for this 34" beauty which is awesome (though I wish the curve was a bit more pronounced and couple of inches higher):
You're entitled to whatever preferences you choose, but there is nothing to disagree with.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So do I, but I tend to stack things in two columns.

I use 8-point Mobifont in MobiXterm when doing things concurrently on multiple servers (and can tile 6 or 8 systems fairly comfortably in a 2w x 3h or 2w x4h grid), and I usually use the standard 9-point Terminal font for PuTTY windows when editing code, so even with PuTTY I can stack two side by side most of the time and get plenty of vertical space. I'm running 1920x1200 on my 24" monitors, tho.

I also use VirtuaWin heavily on Windows systems. I have to. At work, it's a 4x4 desktop grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers