Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 PM

212 posts, read 822,398 times

Advertisements

Anybody have their front usb port stop working. My old computer has 2 front usb ports 2.0 compliant which is a 2 unit hub not attached to the mothereboard. All of a sudden one of the usb ports just stopped working and you get in device manager a unkown device that has no driver. The other usb port is working, It this common when one port dies while the other is working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
First, they are attached to the motherboard. If they aren't they are wireless, which I truly doubt.

Have you had the case open recently? You might have pulled a connection loose without realizing it. It is easier than most people think.

Open the case and follow the wires from the port to the mobo. Find where it connects and even if it is plugged in pull the connector off the pin and slide it back on. Sometimes the pins will corrode a bit and lose connectivity. Sliding the plug over the metal will scratch it and give a better a connection. Not a guarantee, but I've had it work quite often. Even a very light sanding can help, but clean up any residue left on the mobo.

Test the port.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,508,578 times
^What Tek said is my first guess.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 PM

534 posts, read 2,410,356 times
Is this a Dell desktop? We had a whole batch of these that some little daughter board went out, and thats exactly what happened. Just the front usb's were dead.
And the keyboards. Yeesh. I bet we've sent them all back by now.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,048,730 times
Are the ports in series?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM

155 posts, read 559,097 times
heh..not just the front, but ALL of mine are out...I'll show my bf this thread though and see what he thinks about it...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,847,706 times
I've had my computer since last July. Bought it new. It's a hp compaq. The front usb works, but the slot for the camera card quit working in the front. Might be same problem though. All of the back usb slots and others work fine.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 PM

155 posts, read 559,097 times
I fixed mine! My friend told me to uninstall all my usb ports, reboot, and they should install themselves. Well, I partially fixed them. 2 of them work now, and the other 2 don't. But if only one of yours is not working then it should be fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I've had my computer since last July. Bought it new. It's a hp compaq. The front usb works, but the slot for the camera card quit working in the front. Might be same problem though. All of the back usb slots and others work fine.
If you're comfortable with it. Open the case, and trace all the cables from the front of the case to wherever they go and ensure they're seated properly. If one is disconnected entirely, call HP/Compaq tech support, or I think Roamin stated he's a tech and might be able to help with finding the exact location for it.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruption View Post
I fixed mine! My friend told me to uninstall all my usb ports, reboot, and they should install themselves. Well, I partially fixed them. 2 of them work now, and the other 2 don't. But if only one of yours is not working then it should be fine.
Does it show up in your device manager? Or, do they not show in Device Manager at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers