Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,172,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

(1) Is there a FAST way to "force delete" files even if Windows has the permissions messed up? I spent probably half an hour trying to delete the "bad" files on the messed-up hard drive, to no avail. I need something that says "I said delete them, now DELETE THEM!!!" period.

You can try use the ubuntu stick with live OS with no permission limits. Absolutle freeware.
Look at How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

(2) Is there a quicker way to copy files to a hard drive to where it won't take HOURS and HOURS to do so? I have USB 3 and the hard drive will be connected locally vs a router etc, but still it's too slow for me. I wish they had something that could, I'd say, copy 2T of files in 5 minutes. (I'm totally serious.)

Connect another PC directly via cable LAN connection and create point to point network. Copy your files trough double panel files manager.

(3) Why can't they make these things better than this? The hard drive was a Western Digital (portable USB, connected to a router's storage link) bought brand-new and not even a YEAR OLD. Come on, that's completely inexcusable.
You can ask this question WD staff service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM

P. S. I think it makes sense to use a cloud service to store valuable information.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:47 AM

5,539 posts, read 7,129,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Solid state drives!
SSDs rock!

I'm starting to hate mechanical HDDs. Most of my bad ones have been Seagates, FWIW...

I just keep media files on them and put them in the closet. They seem to go bad just sitting there!

It is strange how some people have great luck with some brands, others not so much..

I saw that Backblaze site too, it seems trustworthy, so now my new HDDs are all HGST. No problems so far.

Now, Seagate is touting a 60TB SSD, after Samsung introduced a 15TB model awhile back.

"Seagate isn't planning to release the 60TB drive immediately, but may release it early next year. Pricing is anyone's guess, but you probably won't get much change from £30,000 or $40,000"

Seagate 60TB SSD

Yup, Joe Sixpack is heading toward Petabyte storage...

Old 10-01-2016, 05:51 AM

5,539 posts, read 7,129,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
P. S. I think it makes sense to use a cloud service to store valuable information.
I don't trust it at all [yet] especially for storing private information.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:23 AM

Your sound like a similar to paranoia. There are excellent and effective encryption tools.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:01 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,105,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
My questions.

(1) Is there a FAST way to "force delete" files even if Windows has the permissions messed up? I spent probably half an hour trying to delete the "bad" files on the messed-up hard drive, to no avail. I need something that says "I said delete them, now DELETE THEM!!!" period.

(2) Is there a quicker way to copy files to a hard drive to where it won't take HOURS and HOURS to do so? I have USB 3 and the hard drive will be connected locally vs a router etc, but still it's too slow for me. I wish they had something that could, I'd say, copy 2T of files in 5 minutes. (I'm totally serious.)

(3) Why can't they make these things better than this? The hard drive was a Western Digital (portable USB, connected to a router's storage link) bought brand-new and not even a YEAR OLD. Come on, that's completely inexcusable.
Answers:

1) Log on using the Administrator account, use the file manager to highlight all of the files you want to delete and use SHFT-DEL to delete them. Alternatives: drop to a command prompt and DEL using whatever wildcards you need; or move all of the files you want to delete to a separate directory (folder), then delete the folder; or, after moving the files, drop to a command prompt in that directory and DEL *.*, then exit and delete the folder.

Or, boot a live Linux CD/DVD and do the same thing.

2) Connect the hard drive(s) internally in a machine and copy everything from one to the other, using Win or Linux. Two TiB will take longer than five minutes no matter which way you do it, no getting around that.

3) Occasionally a manufacturer will have a bad batch of drives, these can generally be replaced under warranty if you don't do something foolish and FUBAR it in a temper tantrum.

3a) Many users problems are self-inflicted and not actually hardware defects- improper power cycles, improper use of software, or physical mishandling (particularly with people who are careless or who have patience/temper issues.

3b) Another big issue with hard drives is power problems- sags and brown-outs, while not causing a complete power failure, may result in the read/write heads bouncing off the platters. The platters accumulate damage and eventually files may become corrupted.

For best results, all hard drives should be buffered from line power with a battery-backup system that provides a constant power level even if line power fluctuates.

Always back up your files, and make back-ups of your back-ups on CD/DVD if you have stuff that you *really* don't want to lose.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,157,644 times
SSD drives fail too, since I had one only 4 months old fail on me and when they go down you are screwed even worse since, atleast mechanical drives sometimes might give a warning. When I did laptop support, I got plenty of calls for SSD failures, even though they were less than the mechanical ones, but with any product made in bulks my the millions, you will have a 1-3% failure rate, so just hope you are not of of the 20-30K people who got one of those 1-2% bad ones.

An SSD often doesn't give much warning before it fails. Electronic components don’t begin to grind or buzz as they grow older. They work – and then they don’t.

But since you have a backup, you are doing what is recommend, because a hard drive can fail in 1 month or 5 years.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
I've not had time to dig into it too far yet, but I think I Lost one of the drives on the server. Luckily it's the one that all the data from the other drives is copied to and then Crashplan backs it up. No data loss, but I'll have to do some rebuilding of partitions, etc.

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to figure out what's going on.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times
I don't use cloud services, just hard drives. I just use a Plugable USB 3.0 SATA III docking station that is powered, and SATA hard drives like the ones inside the computer (bare, without power supply). Also, I only turn the drives on when saving photos and files to it, then turn them off and put them away.

There are numerous options relating to docking stations.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't use cloud services, just hard drives. I just use a Plugable USB 3.0 SATA III docking station that is powered, and SATA hard drives like the ones inside the computer (bare, without power supply). Also, I only turn the drives on when saving photos and files to it, then turn them off and put them away.

There are numerous options relating to docking stations.
How can you use access to you pics & vidios out your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers