Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,986,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Please give me the model name of your router. The first time I've heard that home routers have separate receiving and transmitting antennas. Just dont understand why this design was implementd. This breaks my concept of data broadcast through the air.
I have the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
That's pretty top of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How can you guys not understand this?!
We kind of know what we are talking about.

A good quality 1x1 AC1900 Wireless adapter will smoke a 3x3 AC600 wireless adapter every day of the week. It's not about the number of antennas.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,172,085 times
Quote:
I have the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem.
and what speed declared by your ISP?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's pretty top of the line.

We kind of know what we are talking about.

A good quality 1x1 AC1900 Wireless adapter will smoke a 3x3 AC600 wireless adapter every day of the week. It's not about the number of antennas.
I think he overstates their needs. I have no idea why at home 600 megabits/s even? this isnt office where 30 managers sit on the same line.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 PM

My ISP internet speed is 200 Mbps. So, I know that my internet experience would be limited to the hypothetical maximum of 200 Mbps in most cases. But even so, the WiFi in general is faster, like when my laptop communicates with my wireless printer, for example. However, the new beamforming technology in the AC router, IMO makes a noticeable difference. Now, I NEVER lose internet connection. It's very reliable. When I had my N router, I was losing connection very often.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
My ISP internet speed is 200 Mbps. So, I know that my internet experience would be limited to the hypothetical maximum of 200 Mbps in most cases. But even so, the WiFi in general is faster, like when my laptop communicates with my wireless printer, for example. However, the new beamforming technology in the AC router, IMO makes a noticeable difference. Now, I NEVER lose internet connection. It's very reliable. When I had my N router, I was losing connection very often.
I understand your desire to make life better. But I want to note that number of packets to communicate with the printer is calculated kilobytes. Its clear that you will not use, and 30 percent of router speed as possible. For you priority reliability.

As for the laptop I wouldnt pay extra for a built-in high-speed module. I believe that 100 megabits quite enough for practical purposes. Up to you and I wish you the correct choice.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I understand your desire to make life better. But I want to note that number of packets to communicate with the printer is calculated kilobytes. Its clear that you will not use, and 30 percent of router speed as possible. For you priority reliability.

As for the laptop I wouldnt pay extra for a built-in high-speed module. I believe that 100 megabits quite enough for practical purposes. Up to you and I wish you the correct choice.
I think I'm going to stick with the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 for $650. It has an FHD display at 15.6", 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, Intel Core i5-7200U (7th Gen) processor, two USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 4.2, 802.11ac 1x1 and includes a number pad on the keyboard (I use Excel all the time, so this is nice), and a 1 TB 5400 rpm hard drive. So I think it's the best equilibrium of being satisfied for my purposes AND affordability. The other laptop I was considering was the Dell XPS 15 for $1,200. But it's only a 6th Gen Core i5 processor and the RAM is 2133 MHz. So the Inspiron has a better processor and faster RAM and a number pad. The only other advantage of the XPS is that it looks sexier and has better quality build materials. But I don't think it's worth paying $550 more. I mean, I'm planning to buy a new TV in a few months, too, so that $550 right there will cover my TV purchase!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,358,753 times
i hate to have to create a separate thread for a similar topic, so i'm "high-jacking" this one.

i need a new laptop, or maybe a tablet with a capacity for an external keyboard, for work purposes. will be starting a per diem job and my current laptop is now 4 years old, won't let me access work stuff remotely from home anymore. i need a laptop that can handle the electronic medical documentation programs of both employers (while in the building and remotely from home) that i can handle both paperwork as fast as i can.

been using a Dell i bought brand new in 2012 and love it. i'm now thinking against tablets since they don't have much memory for microsoft programs that i need to use time to time for work. i also need to use keyboards since i have a harder time doing such on touch screens for documentation.

i'm not tech savvy at all, so all this tech talk here is just way too much for me to catch up right now lol, but would really appreciate some suggestions as to which laptop would best serve my needs.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i hate to have to create a separate thread for a similar topic, so i'm "high-jacking" this one.

i need a new laptop, or maybe a tablet with a capacity for an external keyboard, for work purposes. will be starting a per diem job and my current laptop is now 4 years old, won't let me access work stuff remotely from home anymore. i need a laptop that can handle the electronic medical documentation programs of both employers (while in the building and remotely from home) that i can handle both paperwork as fast as i can.

been using a Dell i bought brand new in 2012 and love it. i'm now thinking against tablets since they don't have much memory for microsoft programs that i need to use time to time for work. i also need to use keyboards since i have a harder time doing such on touch screens for documentation.

i'm not tech savvy at all, so all this tech talk here is just way too much for me to catch up right now lol, but would really appreciate some suggestions as to which laptop would best serve my needs.
You should find out what the system requirements for your medical work program youre using to work. For example:
Spoiler
Computers and Operating Systems

NowMD will work on just about any Windows computer but you’ll be happier with a computer with a current multi-core processor and at least 4 gigabytes of RAM.
Supported operating systems:
Windows XP is not supported. April 8, 2014 was the end of the Windows XP Extended Support period. After this date Windows XP is no longer HIPAA Compliant nor does it meet the PCI credit card data security standards.
  • Windows Vista Home Premium, Vista Business and Vista Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 Professional and 7 Ultimate, 32 or 64 Bit
  • Windows 8, 8 Pro and 8 Enterprise, 32 or 64 Bit
  • Windows 10 Home, Pro, Enterprise and Education editions, 32 or 64 Bit

Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,358,753 times
Quote:
You should find out what the system requirements for your medical work program youre using to work. For example:
Spoiler
Computers and Operating Systems

NowMD will work on just about any Windows computer but you’ll be happier with a computer with a current multi-core processor and at least 4 gigabytes of RAM.
Supported operating systems:
Windows XP is not supported. April 8, 2014 was the end of the Windows XP Extended Support period. After this date Windows XP is no longer HIPAA Compliant nor does it meet the PCI credit card data security standards.
  • Windows Vista Home Premium, Vista Business and Vista Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 Professional and 7 Ultimate, 32 or 64 Bit
  • Windows 8, 8 Pro and 8 Enterprise, 32 or 64 Bit
  • Windows 10 Home, Pro, Enterprise and Education editions, 32 or 64 Bit
which ones would you know would be quite nimble to security upgrades? protecting patient information is of utmost priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers