Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 01:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times

Advertisements

http://i.imgur.com/a8e5wQb.gifv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 05:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Partial recovery is still possible. They can piece them together or even just single pieces. Mount to flat surface, instead of spinning the fragmented disc they spin the flat surface it's mounted to. Unless you are terrorist probably not a big concern.

Just to be safe I always suggest throwing the discs(destroyed or not) in a bag like chip bag that can't be seen through.

Quick tip on similar topic, if you ever lose a drive to physical failure and want to try and home brew it.... if you can find the same drive you can take the platter out of the old one and install in the operating one. Your results may vary, you gave to be very careful about dust etc. That's basically what data recovery companies do except they have dedicated machines that can replicate the drive, clean room etc. .

Old 11-26-2016, 08:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,173,434 times
Just use usb stick OS live drive with fingerprint access and encrypting file system if you data thief/hack paranoid)

Old 11-27-2016, 01:51 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,923,495 times
There are programs that can do DOD wipe, but doing such thing takes hours if not days depending on how big your HD is. But if you want to totaly destroy it, good ol fashion magnet will do the trick. It has to be strong, but it will work, or nuke it in a microwave will burn the platters up.. My best thing is if you want a work out, find a good ol 30 lb sledge and go office space on it..

Old 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM

16,576 posts, read 19,785,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Partial recovery is still possible. They can piece them together or even just single pieces. Mount to flat surface, instead of spinning the fragmented disc they spin the flat surface it's mounted to. Unless you are terrorist probably not a big concern.
Are you serious? I guarantee you there will be no data recoverable on those floppy discs. Ok, maybe the last one where you can clearly see the little film disk doesn't get torn... the others do though.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

7,059 posts, read 9,109,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
There are programs that can do DOD wipe, but doing such thing takes hours if not days depending on how big your HD is. But if you want to totaly destroy it, good ol fashion magnet will do the trick. It has to be strong, but it will work, or nuke it in a microwave will burn the platters up.. My best thing is if you want a work out, find a good ol 30 lb sledge and go office space on it..
Fire, 1,000*F. Toasted.

When my wood stove hits 900-1000 degrees, the magnetic thermometer falls off, that much heat causes it to become demagnetized. It will do the same to the magnetic material on the platters, and nothing will be recoverable.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,401,462 times
It is not all that difficult to destroy data. No you can't chop up floppies. Relatively easy to recover.

The thing you need to be careful of is the remnants left over after things like disk swaps. You can get large pieces of various stuff in all sorts of places. Basically you encrypt files and then over write random stuff a couple of times on all unused memory areas.

If you want to physically destroy records you need to disrupt the recording material. Heat is probably the best solution. But chemistry or magnetic fields might also work.

I would not bet on physical destruction unless it actually rearranges stuff at the molecular level. Remember some of these folks have scanning electron microscopes.. I would think any reasonable lab could figure out how to recover papers that had been shredded.

Teks solution however is up there with the laser mosquito whacker. The thought alone is worth the price.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you serious?
I'm 100% serious, keep in mind what I said was partial recovery and unless you are a terrorist probably not a concern. You only need someone with the right equipment and the desire to retrieve it.

Suppose you have a CD for example that has a crack which is essentially the same as busting it up, if you put it into a computer drive you are going to get a read error. If you put it into CD player it may work but will "skip", that's because the player may ignore read errors and try an play the data it can read.

Getting back to the computer if you use a tool like ISObuster it will ignore errors and extract all the data it can. The data that resided where the crack is will be corrupt but the bulk of it is recoverable. Taking that step further if you have a surface designed to mount all those little pieces you can make partial recovery of the data. While on the topic if you have dead CD/DVD that won't read and need to recover data from it ISObuster is you next move.

Whether it's tape, floppy, CD or whatever that is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers