Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 AM

2,061 posts, read 2,563,628 times

Advertisements

Microsoft stores are beginning their 12 days of Christmas sale. There are some interesting options, they have a different thing on sale each of the 12 days it starts at 12 am pacific time on the website,but if you go to a physical store they have other door buster offers too( but it is possible that not all the stores will participate). A few of the deals have caught my attention including the surface pro 4 for $250 off on December 8th, but here is the one I feel the most interested in, on December 14 they are giving $1000 off gaming pc computers starting at $799 but they will not reveal which computer models they are. And when they say "pc" are they only talking about desktop computers or can it refer to laptops too? Any suggestions or ideas on which pc are going on sale?

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/86...-12-days-deals

Here is the list of sales from the article above

Monday, December 5 – Save up to $1,000 on select Intel-powered PCs, starting at $199.
Tuesday, December 6 – Only $199 for a Lenovo Ideapad 110 laptop (save $100).
Wednesday, December 7 – Save up to 50% on select Xbox One games, now $19.99.
Thursday, December 8 – Save $250 on Surface Pro 4 with Intel Core m3 and 128GB SSD (now $649), plus free sleeve.
Friday, December 9 – Save up to 70% on select Windows 10 tablets, now starting at $49.
Saturday, December 10 – Save up to $250 on Windows Premium Collection devices, starting at $499.
Sunday, December 11 – Buy select Xbox controllers and get a $25 Microsoft Store gift code.
Monday, December 12 – Save $50 and get 2 free games with select Xbox One consoles, plus save big on Xbox accessories and games.
Tuesday, December 13 – Get a $100 Microsoft Store gift code with purchase of HTC VIVE or Oculus Rift.
Wednesday, December 14 – Save up to $1,000 on select gaming PCs, starting at $799.
Thursday, December 15 – Save up to 40% on select Dell PCs, starting at $199.
Friday, December 16 – Save up to $200 on select Surface Pro 4, plus get a free Type Cover (up to $359 value).
Note that each daily offer goes live at 12 am PT, while supplies last.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-04-2016 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 03:55 PM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times
If they say PC they mean PC...not laptop.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,367,265 times
Hmm, might pick up an SP4 m3. Book is a little wieldy as a tablet I'm finding, plus getting pissed off at the stability issues that it's still having. May unload it and pick up the SP4 as tablet and a more reliable laptop. SP4 actually might work well as the issue is with the connector and dropping USB which wouldn't be an issue with the SP4. But then I probably wouldn't want the m3. Not enough under the hood to do everything.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If they say PC they mean PC...not laptop.
That is what I thought, but when I go to their website and click on the link "pc sale" after going to the link about the 12 days sale they show pictures of laptops too.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...oryID.69325700

PS What do you think of the Asus on sale today ? It seems to have most of the things you recommended except it has an i5 instead of an i7 and a 4k touchscreen 950 nvidia graphics and I worry the i5 will be too weak to support that ?

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ctID.334925400

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-05-2016 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hmm, might pick up an SP4 m3. Book is a little wieldy as a tablet I'm finding, plus getting pissed off at the stability issues that it's still having. May unload it and pick up the SP4 as tablet and a more reliable laptop. SP4 actually might work well as the issue is with the connector and dropping USB which wouldn't be an issue with the SP4. But then I probably wouldn't want the m3. Not enough under the hood to do everything.

Yes I was happy to read about the big sale at Microsoft because it seemed like after cyber Monday and Black Friday all the sales have gone away everywhere. There are two Microsoft stores in Orlando which is not too far away from me.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 12-05-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Update: I called Microsoft customer support right as their stores opened at 10 am to make sure they had the computer I liked in stock in the Orlando stores and they did not have it in either store in Orlando and not in the store in Tampa! She tried to convince me they had already been sold at the stores but seeing as the stores had just opened it was obvious that was not true.They are not prepared for the sale today at all. I will not be making the trip .

Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times
I'd love to know where the i5 got this bad reputation. LOL

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: THERE IS NOT ONE THING WRONG WITH A MODERN i5. It is absolutely capable of driving ANY video card, even for VR.

Gamers on a budget use the i5 with excellent results.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd love to know where the i5 got this bad reputation. LOL

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: THERE IS NOT ONE THING WRONG WITH A MODERN i5. It is absolutely capable of driving ANY video card, even for VR.

Gamers on a budget use the i5 with excellent results.

Interesting one of the reviews on the computer stated that it was a quad core i5 so that there was no need to be concerned about power. Is a quad core i5 as good or better than a dual core i7?

But since they did not have any in stock I guess there is no point in talking about it. She offered to let me order it and have it shipped to me but I would prefer to actually have it after I purchase it and not be forced to wait to make sure it actually arrives and is in good condition, especially when it is advertised as being on sale at a real store. Why do these brick and mortar computer stores that advertise sales all think people would rather buy online and so have nothing in inventory waiting when you get there?

Old 12-06-2016, 05:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,686,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Interesting one of the reviews on the computer stated that it was a quad core i5 so that there was no need to be concerned about power. Is a quad core i5 as good or better than a dual core i7?
There isn't a dual core i7.

The i5 is a quad core processor with 4 physical cores.

The i7 is a quad core processor with HyperThreading, so it has 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores, for a total of 8 cores.

As Perigrine stated, most i5s are more than sufficient for even an above average user, or gamer, since much of the software available today doesn't take advantage of the 4 HT cores.

When I built my current i7 based PC I build an i5 based one for my son with almost exactly the same specs (same motherboard, same video card, etc). In gaming related tests they scored close enough to each other that it wouldn't make any noticeable difference.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
There isn't a dual core i7.

The i5 is a quad core processor with 4 physical cores.

The i7 is a quad core processor with HyperThreading, so it has 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores, for a total of 8 cores.

As Perigrine stated, most i5s are more than sufficient for even an above average user, or gamer, since much of the software available today doesn't take advantage of the 4 HT cores.

When I built my current i7 based PC I build an i5 based one for my son with almost exactly the same specs (same motherboard, same video card, etc). In gaming related tests they scored close enough to each other that it wouldn't make any noticeable difference.
Thanks for your information. What is your opinion on the difference between 6th generation i5 vs 7th generation i5? Is there anything even better coming up soon?Also are there any instances where an i7 is needed over an i5? What about for a 4k screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers