Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,203,207 times

Advertisements

I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. There are 3 total USB ports (1 on the left and 2 on the right). For some reason the 2 ports on the right suddenly stopped working. They won't recognize any device plugged in. I checked in Device Manager and it does not show any errors with the USB configuration. I even opened up the laptop case to look inside to see if maybe something got disconnected, but everything looks fine with the hardware itself. The USB port on the left still works fine.

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 09:46 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,615,092 times
for stuff like this i usually boot up a live-usb to diagnose whether the physical hardware is mashed up or if the windows software configuration got mashed up.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:05 PM

I confirmed it's a hardware issue. I plugged in a USB flash drive that has a red light that comes on when plugged in. In the left port the light comes on, but in the right ports it doesn't. So something must have got fried. I bought a USB hub on Amazon for 10 bucks so I'll use that and plug it into the working port.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,122,993 times
I have about 5 Lenovo Laptops. Sometimes a mischievous hacker will disable your usb port. Go to Device Manager and disable then re-install all of your usb port drivers. Then you might find the pertinent one to blame.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I have about 5 Lenovo Laptops. Sometimes a mischievous hacker will disable your usb port. Go to Device Manager and disable then re-install all of your usb port drivers. Then you might find the pertinent one to blame.
Yeah, I tried that but it still did not work. It seems that there is not even power being supplied to the ports.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Yeah, I tried that but it still did not work. It seems that there is not even power being supplied to the ports.
does your cellular-telefone charge when plugged into those usb-ports ?
if its an android based fone, does a window pop-up when its plugged in ?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
does your cellular-telefone charge when plugged into those usb-ports ?
if its an android based fone, does a window pop-up when its plugged in ?
Nope, nothing. Totally dead.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM

8,456 posts, read 13,580,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
for stuff like this i usually boot up a live-usb to diagnose whether the physical hardware is mashed up or if the windows software configuration got mashed up.
Did you actually do what Stanley suggested?
With this type of issues, you have to determine if it is a hw issue or Windows issue. What you stated to having done thus far, didn't quite clarify where the culprit is. To make sure, create a bootable USB drive. You can download a "Live" iso of a Linux distro even an using ISO burner type utility, create your bootable USB drive, then boot to it. Make sure the bootable drive is the only thing plugged and it is plugged in on the right (not working) side.

If I were you, I would run included hardware diagnostics that should be accessible during bootup.
If such diagnostic utility was installed and also checked USB ports. IF so, have a USB drive with data plugged in one of the bad ports and run the test.

Also I'd go into BIOS settings and make sure all related settings are enabled.

I have seen cases with various different make/model laptops where Windows do not detect/charge/show any and all devices plugged into a certain USB port, causing you to think the port is bad. Re-imaged the laptop and the presumably bad port started working.
Instead of imaging, try uninstalling it in Device Manager first, check the box for uninstalling the device drivers as well but make sure to have the latest drivers already downloaded first!
After uninstall/removal, reboot your laptop and install the latest (USB3) drivers.
I'd also install the latest chipset drivers as well.

If the ports look dirty with dirt/dust particles, you can use compressed air can to blow it clean.
Additionally, try cleaning the connection surfaces inside the ports using a Q-tip dipped in little rubbing alcohol.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Did you actually do what Stanley suggested?
With this type of issues, you have to determine if it is a hw issue or Windows issue. What you stated to having done thus far, didn't quite clarify where the culprit is. To make sure, create a bootable USB drive. You can download a "Live" iso of a Linux distro even an using ISO burner type utility, create your bootable USB drive, then boot to it. Make sure the bootable drive is the only thing plugged and it is plugged in on the right (not working) side.

If I were you, I would run included hardware diagnostics that should be accessible during bootup.
If such diagnostic utility was installed and also checked USB ports. IF so, have a USB drive with data plugged in one of the bad ports and run the test.

Also I'd go into BIOS settings and make sure all related settings are enabled.

I have seen cases with various different make/model laptops where Windows do not detect/charge/show any and all devices plugged into a certain USB port, causing you to think the port is bad. Re-imaged the laptop and the presumably bad port started working.
Instead of imaging, try uninstalling it in Device Manager first, check the box for uninstalling the device drivers as well but make sure to have the latest drivers already downloaded first!
After uninstall/removal, reboot your laptop and install the latest (USB3) drivers.
I'd also install the latest chipset drivers as well.

If the ports look dirty with dirt/dust particles, you can use compressed air can to blow it clean.
Additionally, try cleaning the connection surfaces inside the ports using a Q-tip dipped in little rubbing alcohol.
Well like I said, I have a USB flash drive. When I plug it into the "good" USB port the red light on the flash drive comes on. When I plug it into the "bad" ports the light does not come on, so obviously there is no power being sent to those 2 ports and I'm not going to be able to boot from it.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Well like I said, I have a USB flash drive. When I plug it into the "good" USB port the red light on the flash drive comes on. When I plug it into the "bad" ports the light does not come on, so obviously there is no power being sent to those 2 ports and I'm not going to be able to boot from it.
good diagnosis. i assume they are bruk up.

the only other thing is maybe they are thunderbolt ports and the bios shuts them off to conserve battery (so they seem dead before the os boots).
something like that was for my blu-tooth radio. i thought it was broken until i went into the bios and can turn it on and off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers