Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:57 AM

186 posts, read 129,192 times

Advertisements

What is the most I should transfer from one external drive to another so there will be no errors, no corruptions, no damage to any file. Seagate gave me different answers, one said 100 gb, another one said 50 gb, and another one said 5gb. Does it matter what is being transferred? Let's say it's a folder with 10 videos and that will equal to 50 gb, now compare that to 300 videos that is 10 gb, should I transfer video per video or the entire folder for this 10gb? What are the chances of any errors on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,776,508 times
IT Professional here: I would simply try the whole thing at once no matter the size. I've never heard of there being a limit on a file move operation. And WIndows 10 is great at this operation today. I would not do that on XP.
And then I would leave the computer alone while it works. The caveat: simply make sure you do a COPY, not a MOVE. In case something does screw up, your original data is unaffected. After it complete successfully, delete the original.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 AM

186 posts, read 129,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
IT Professional here: I would simply try the whole thing at once no matter the size. I've never heard of there being a limit on a file move operation. And WIndows 10 is great at this operation today. I would not do that on XP.
And then I would leave the computer alone while it works. The caveat: simply make sure you do a COPY, not a MOVE. In case something does screw up, your original data is unaffected. After it complete successfully, delete the original.
I have Windows 7

Old 12-31-2016, 10:20 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,952,718 times
First off, I would stop talking to Seagate if I were you.

Learn to use the command line.

Using Windows 7. Read here.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ee851678.aspx

Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
I was just about to ask about this. I just got another 2T hard drive on the cheap and was backing up the contents of the 4T (which isn't full, but is close to 2T so it will be a "tight squeeze") and as before when I'd backed up that much data, my thought was "should it do it all at once or in 'pieces' at a time?" because I kind of figured having a hard drive run for hours was possibly bad for it. I would typically have it back up about 75G or 120G at a time, which took about 2 hours or so. As part of this on one occasion I had it backup about 300G and it took like 6 hours to do it and I was thinking it might be bad for it to run for 6 hours like that.

For the record, for what it's worth I tend to use FreeFileSync for keeping things backed up.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,570,144 times
One problem I have is as projects grow my file structure also grows and maybe I need to get out of nested file mentality but I have years of building that. So far I have manually just kept two copies - old and new when I copy files over - so that I don't overwrite what I do have until I make sure the new one goes over ok.

Then I spin off some archive that is not on my hard drive

How does free file sync work with folder changes/file moves - it would be nice to automate that so I don't have to do a full copy/paste operation ( I regularly back up largish (about 70GB) blocks of files that way.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:17 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

{snip}

How does free file sync work with folder changes/file moves - it would be nice to automate that so I don't have to do a full copy/paste operation ( I regularly back up largish (about 70GB) blocks of files that way.
If the backups is a "mirror" operation (that is the backed up hard drive/folder path is a "mirror" of the original) then when I've used it it seems to handle all of that OK. One thing it also can do, which I use for larger operations, is you can use the "filter" feature to have it temporarily not backup certain files on that occasion but it will still pull them up on later backup operations, I do this if it's backing up a huge amount and I want to do it in small "pieces."

Also, it can be set to shut down the PC when it's done. I do this a lot with other larger operations, I'm doing this in my "man cave" in my backroom and I'll have it going before I go to bed with it set to shut the PC down when it's done. Also, it does let you "preview" what it will do before it does it, so you can confirm it's not going to do something you don't want it to do.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,592,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
What is the most I should transfer from one external drive to another so there will be no errors, no corruptions, no damage to any file. Seagate gave me different answers, one said 100 gb, another one said 50 gb, and another one said 5gb. Does it matter what is being transferred? Let's say it's a folder with 10 videos and that will equal to 50 gb, now compare that to 300 videos that is 10 gb, should I transfer video per video or the entire folder for this 10gb? What are the chances of any errors on it?
this is like asking: when to walk outside to guarantee you wont have an accident ?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,502,566 times
Not an IT pro. I work at IHOP but here is what I would look for:
- Target drive should always be at least the same size or larger than the source drive
- I would make sure both drives are using the same file system and allocation unit (cluster) size which is picked during formatting
- Drive types and specs

Condition of the current operating system and the drives in question are the most important factors followed by the integrity of the data being copied/moved.

Tidbit on Allocation Unit Size: Default NTFS AUS on Windows is 4,096 bytes (4KB)
This is something most everyone leaves at default and for drive that will be storing various sized files, that might seem like a safe selection but if you will be copying/moving/deleting/creating mostly large to huge files, meaning each file can be 100MB or larger than you should select a larger AUS, like 16KB or higher. If the drive will have a few large files but most of the files will be smaller than a few MBs in sizes then you could go with a smaller AUS like 2KB or even 1KB.
Larger the files, larger the AUS for better performance and also less fragmentation. Same goes for smaller files and smaller AUS. Worst case is when you have predominantly large files and use very small AUS or vice versa.
Imagine storing video files or hi res images, smallest files size is like 5MB and most are like 20+ MBs and some DVD files are actually a gig or more. To store this files, file system will break each file into much smaller pieces to store them. Consider AUS size is the size of each one of those pieces. Now imagine formating the drive and selecting the default AUS of 4KB. File system will have to chop each large file into 4KB chunks. When it is looking (seek), reading and writing, it will have to scan that many clusters to complete a 100MB file but if you selected 16KB as your AUS, the performance will be 3x-4x faster which will be very noticeable with large files but probably not so much with smaller files.

In a nutshell, here is my table to give you a simpler overlook of AUS variables as an equation:
Large AUS + mostly large files:
- Pros = Very good performance, much less drive fragmentation
- Cons = None

Large AUS + mostly smallish files:
- Pros = Slightly better performance, a little less drive fragmentation
- Cons = Wasted/less usable space (Example: AUS is 16KB and files that are smaller than 16KB will still be using at least 16KB space

Small AUS + mostly large files:
- Pros = Slightly more usable space and less wasted space (if at all)
- Cons = Slow performance across the board, way more fragmentation, more read-write errors

Small AUS + most small files:
- Pros = Decent performance
- Cons = Average to slightly more fragmentation

Above info is definitely more applicable to drives with magnetic disks as opposed to Solid State Drives, especially the fragmentation situation. For SSDs and USB Flash drives, the effects on performance is a much more pronounced.

If you are copying a lot of files, regardless of their size and concerned with errors, etc. take a look at TeraCopy
It is very fast and offer error recovery option along with pausing the process, etc.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM

8,351 posts, read 13,502,566 times
To re-hash, here is a screenshot comparison of Windows 10 copy function vs TeraCopy 3rc.

Screenshot of each were taken after the same exact time from the start of copying the same folder from the same source to same target USB2 flash drive.

In a nutshell, at least for flash drives and external drives of any kind, I use and would recommend using an AUS of at least 16KB or larger.

For the drive where OS (Windows) will be installed on, default should be OK, but I still favor using 8KB or larger especially if drive space is not an issue.

If you have any kind of drive docking station that allows you to mirror drives from its source bay to target bay. These devices typically look for and require default allocation size of 4KB.

For modern internal drives and large external drives, 4KB is simply too small to be efficient and no one should ever pick anything smaller than the default, imho, but to each his/her own.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Transferring from one external drive to another-teracopy_vs_windowscopy.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers