Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times

Advertisements

The scan takes more than a few minutes, it has to scan 10's of thousands of files. I've had it take well over an hour on some computers. As long as Malwarebytes updated I wouldn't worry about disabling the firewall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 AM

8,432 posts, read 7,450,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Don't have Malwarebytes on my PC.. I have AVG. Is that good enough?
Food for thought from another poster in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The simple reality is that there nothing free about the "free" version of AVG. In fact most security experts have long been recommending that people stop using it. While the OP did sound a little ridiculous with the call to the support line, the simple reality is that he was definitely worth something to AVG, everyone running the free version is.

The first reason is rather basic. The free users serve as a great test bed and detection group. I don't think many people would have an issue with them using the information they collect in this way.

The second reason is that AVG now makes a lot of money by selling the personal data of users of the free version. Yes, that's right, AVG is now essentially a version of spyware selling all of your personal data...browsing history, apps, programs, name, address, IP, etc...to third party companies. So, if you use AVG free version you are essentially paying for it by letting them spy on you.

The top three recommended free programs are currently Panda, Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. Of course, for most users, the included programs in Windows are plenty sufficient.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

570 posts, read 1,288,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Food for thought from another poster in another thread.
Thanks djmilf.... I just removed AVG and installed McAfee which is provided free from the ISP I have (TWRR, now Spectrum). So I hope it is a better choice.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Thanks djmilf.... I just removed AVG and installed McAfee which is provided free from the ISP I have (TWRR, now Spectrum). So I hope it is a better choice.
Wouldn't be my first choice but AV-Test has a good rating on it.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...y-2016-164064/

Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Wouldn't be my first choice but AV-Test has a good rating on it.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...y-2016-164064/
What would be your first choice NHDave?

Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 AM

I have been using only the paid version of Malwarebytes for some time, I bought it back when it was a one time pay, lifetime license.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have been using only the paid version of Malwarebytes for some time, I bought it back when it was a one time pay, lifetime license.
Malwarebytes Anti Malware?
I thought it was only for Malware?
What do you use for your anti virus protection?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM

I used to use either Norton (free from Xfinity) or MSE (or sometimes none) but with version 3 of Malwarebytes there isn't really a need. Many will argue that AV is rather useless currently as most of the nasties in the wild are updated daily and AV won't detect much of it due to lagging signatures. My experience seems to agree, almost all of the PC's I deal with that have nasties on them were running a current AV at the time. MWB Pro seems to do a better job at keeping stuff out to begin with, rather than cleaning it out after the fact, which is what the free version does.

Not to mention I have other protections in place on my home network to help mitigate the garbage. OpenDNS with site blocking, ad, script and tracker blocking on web browsers. I could use nothing at all for AV/malware and feel safe, but why push my luck?

Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Do you use CCleaner? I used that for many years and was told it was particularly useful anymore - I have Win7. Currently I use avast (free), malwarebytes, MS disk fragmentor and MS disk cleanup.
I stopped using MSE when I couldn't get updates for it. AVG didn't catch a trojan so I stopped using it (free).

Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM

No. CCleaner is not in any way a malware/antivirus/security app. It's a system cleaner/tuner type of app, and I don't find it necessary to constantly do the functions it performs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers