Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,529,646 times

Advertisements

Just installed a new computer but my Microsoft Word program isnt transferable Is there a cheaper way? it seems i need to repurchase the program for $150 i noticed online free downloads of the program eg=Microsoft Word
which makes me wonder why anyone would buy the program if one can down load it for free?
Am i missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,976,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just installed a new computer but my Microsoft Word program isnt transferable Is there a cheaper way? it seems i need to repurchase the program for $150 i noticed online free downloads of the program eg=Microsoft Word
which makes me wonder why anyone would buy the program if one can down load it for free?
Am i missing something?

I'll answer your last question first.

You may be able to download MS Word but to use it, you need a license. Sure you can use pirated or hacked license but it doesn't make the software free.

Now.. You version of Word. What version is it? Did you purchase retail? Is it an education version? Some of MS license are good for multiples PC.

Oh.. BTW.. there are variant of the Word application and available as app as well but that is not the same as the official MS Word.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 PM

The version of Microsoft word that i have been using came installed with the computer 10 years ago, i think it was called Microsoft office student edition and word was a part of it.
Is my only option to go to Staples/Best Buys and re-buy the program?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,860,638 times
That free download is for Android. Are you wanting to run it on your PC or tablet? And I agree with sj08054 we need more info.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Its for my PC.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,976,674 times
If the version of Word you have is 10 years old, it is quite old.. Probably office 2003? You may want to use a new version. The $150 one you are referring to is probably 2016 and it will be good for up to 5 computers. Personally, I don't touch the latest of any MS product. I am still on 2013 and Office 365.

Instead of getting the PC version, you may want to go with cloud based and use a monthly subscription.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,610,046 times
There are free, open source office suites that are very similar to MS Word (and Excel). I've been using Open Office for many years and haven't had any issues. Libre Office is another one, but I'm not personally familiar with it.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:25 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,877,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
There are free, open source office suites that are very similar to MS Word (and Excel). I've been using Open Office for many years and haven't had any issues. Libre Office is another one, but I'm not personally familiar with it.
I agree. I sometimes use Open Office and find it handy for opening docs created in Word. I mostly use WordPerfect and have for nearly 30 years. It does most everything I need a word processor to do. It will open Word docs and save docs in a Word format, but the formatting doesn't always translate well.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,853,020 times
As has been mentioned above, to find an answer, and for us to help, you must know what specific terms your current license has.

Microsoft has issued a bunch of versions of Word (and the other Office modules), over the years, and they change the terms almost with the changing of the phases of the moon. I think I remember them even changing terms within a release.

Some products were sold, some 'leased'. Some were specifically sold to be used in one PC and not transferable, others for a specific number of PCs (IE: two, one home, one business --- as long as they were not used at the same moment), and on and on.

Do a Help About and get your exact version and sub-version and Google it to see if anyone has listed what the transfer limitations are.
Also, see if you have the original info that came with it. Whenever I buy expensive software or hardware, I photo the info and store it forever, just for situations like this.

If you have a version that can be re-installed in a different machine, you'll need the serial number (what MS calls a CD-Key). You can find several utilities that you can run on your old machine that will scan and determine what the MS products CD-Key is (IE: for the Windows, for Word, Excel, and all the other Office modules you have on that machine).

I'd recommend:
Belarc Advisor Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.
It's a free utility that generates a full inventory of software with most of those corresponding version and serial numbers, along with a super detailed list of hardware etc. (Home use version is free). It will specifically list your MS products and each one's CD-Keys.
another is
Magical Jelly Bean
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Once you have the associated CD-Keys, find a clean, virus free copy of the exact version of Office from somewhere, (there was a time when you could even download them from MS), and during the install process when it asks for your CD-Key, you can provide it.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,543,024 times
You probably still have the version on the old computer still active? Look at this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-e34d31ffee57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers