Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:15 AM

360 posts, read 372,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Peregrine, I understand. But it would be great to have a one click "erase all graffiti" button. My last laptop was full of advertising too.
I had the same thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 11:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
Quote:
Why should you buy a brand new car with graffiti all over it? Sure you can get rid of the nuisances but why should you need to. It would be better if there were an option for a clean car, or at least once you bought the tacky version for you to run a little program with a single click that would do for you exactly what you did. Not everyone wants to spend the time of effort on this, especially if they are unsure about each removal and whether they will need something or not.
Quote:
Peregrine, I understand. But it would be great to have a one click "erase all graffiti" button. My last laptop was full of advertising too that needed eliminating.
A one click erase all has the same limitations. How does it know what you want to keep or delete?

I was one of the reluctant ones. Tiles? WTH? Then I upgraded and figured out that flyout list of programs was wonderful! I dumped the junk and added items I wanted to access quickly. Word, NotePad, Snipping Tool, Calculator, etc. Much easier to start then opening the programs area and scrolling through it, and no desktop clutter!

Embrace change!!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,496,777 times
It's almost that easy.
How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look More Like Windows 7

Old 11-18-2017, 05:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,288,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Apparently you do not remember 3.1; or good old DOS
I do. And DOS never crashed on me like ME did. DOS 3.3 was the last OS that you could squeeze onto a single 5-1/4” floppy disk, great for diagnostics. And Windows 3.1 was groundbreaking for its time (along with 3.1.1, aka Windows for Workgroups), finally making things like networking standardized. Remember NE2000 Novell drivers? I do.

Don’t confuse lack of features with stability.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 PM

71 posts, read 65,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
I recentely purchased a laptop with Windows, I usually use Apple.
This is my second time with Windows.
My previous experience was with Windows 98, which I consider better than Windows 10.
Does Microsoft still offer a version used more than fifteenth years ago?
Try to ask them. Write an email

Old 02-24-2018, 05:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
you won't be able to run anything on Windows 98. It has been dead for a long time.

Windows 10 is a good OS.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 AM

4,156 posts, read 3,078,754 times
Windows NT4 was better than Windows 98SE, as NT4 is a true 32 bit operating system.

I use Windows XP x64 as my primary operating system, with Windows XP USP4 as a backup, primarily when I need to use the scanner. However, to make this work required selecting a motherboard, video card, printer, sound card, and scanner that were compatible. I use the New Moon x64 browser.

There is a community of people out there who refuse to let Windows XP, and to a lesser extent, Windows XP x64, die. It requires a great deal of research and dedication, however. My installation CDs are custom made with the SATA drivers included. I had to use Vista to format the 1GB hard drives properly.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
There is a community of people out there who refuse to let Windows XP, and to a lesser extent, Windows XP x64, die. It requires a great deal of research and dedication, however. My installation CDs are custom made with the SATA drivers included. I had to use Vista to format the 1GB hard drives properly.
And why? WHY! WHHHHYYYYYYYY!
lol

Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,634 times
I installed W98SE on one of my VMs. along with 95, 98, ME and XP.

98SE is dead easy to install, hardly any bloatware, and runs quite well alongside MSDOS; and isn't too bad graphically and from a user-friendly pov.

That said, I think it can only utilise a gig of memory, and there limitations on processor cores. Moreover, it is not very secure and is extremely unstable.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
When W10 showed up I was like, "Oh great another screwed up OS to learn". Reluctant? Yes.

Now that I've used it I find it to be much more stable. I don't think I've seen a blue screen of death yet. The menus are not enough different to worry about. In fact, in some ways they are better. Right click the windows icon on the task bar sometime. Direct access to lots of stuff.

The tiles? Well not a fan at first. I decided to mess around with them and deleted a bunch of crap I never use and added things I do. Word, Snipping Tool, Calculator, Photos, Paint Shop Pro, Notepad, etc. Any program I use a lot, but don't want on the task bar goes there. Much better than scrolling through the programs list for them.

Seems faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers