Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:15 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Advertisements

or not.

not sure if this is the place to ask this but: I received an email alert from a credit card company saying someone tried to access my account from another computer. I don't have a card with that company.
Haven't in over 10 yrs.

Should I ignore it? Or is there some kind of identity theft going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Do not respond to the e-mail. Call the CC company directly to follow up.

The e-mail could be a phishing attempt.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM

already did respond. I know-dumb dumb dumb

I'll see if I can find a number for the company.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:52 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
already did respond. I know-dumb dumb dumb

I'll see if I can find a number for the company.

Thanks.
You need to do a credit freeze first. Immediately.
I would also call all of your CC companies and have new cards issued.
I would also change all passwords to critical accounts.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
...I received an email alert from a credit card company saying someone tried to access my account from another computer. I don't have a card with that company.
Haven't in over 10 yrs.
Should I ignore it? Or is there some kind of identity theft going on?

I get those kinds of emails all the time -- warnings about credit cards and bank accounts that dont exist. Sometimes I'll forward them, with the headers, to the respective company/bank but lately they come so frequently that I've stopped doing that. Now I just add them to my blocked senders list.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
If you don't have an account with this credit card company, then how did they get your email?

It's almost certainly a phishing attempt, but I'd contact that company just to make sure it's not ID Theft.
Probably a good idea to do a review of your credit record with the 3 CR firms, too.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
+1 on just doing a quick check of your credit. In this day and age, with some big retailer or organization being breached at least once a year. Pretty much everyone should have a credit monitoring service being paid for. Just keep in mind what these services do. In most case, they simply monitor/alert. They won't prevent anything.

Checking your free credit report annually is also something you should do.

That said - I would just ignore these emails moving forward. No need to respond to them. If you want to call and inquire, use contact information from their website, not what's provided in the email. These could be phishing attempts, or just honest mistakes/errors. But no harm in using caution.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM

I did find an email for the CC company that supposedly sent the notice. Got an automated response.

I've only got 2 CCs and only use one online.

Guess ignoring them is the best way to go.

Fortunately I didn't send them the info they wanted.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
...I've only got 2 CCs and only use one online....

I dont think it has anything to do with the credit card you use online. It's your email address. Scammers/spammers buy and sell email addresses to other scammers/spammers. Any place where you've used your email address, whether to buy something or to pay bills or enter contests (Publishers Clearing House is probably the worst) or anything else, can be suspect of having sold the email address.

Last edited by TFW46; 01-09-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
I did find an email for the CC company that supposedly sent the notice. Got an automated response.

I've only got 2 CCs and only use one online.

Guess ignoring them is the best way to go.

Fortunately I didn't send them the info they wanted.

Thanks for the advice.
Its good you didn't send them anything . But they know you have a live email address. Its always best to not respond to stuff like that. If you need to contact them ,call them.
However you still need to consider doing a credit freeze at the three agencies. Lots of info at this link.
Credit Freeze Guide: The best way to protect yourself against identity theft | Clark Howard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers