Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 01:58 PM

300 posts, read 238,602 times

Advertisements

The problem that I am having has to do with Facebook and Google Chrome. I have Windows 10, and when I go to Facebook, videos, or any figure I post, shows the image in Black of a plug-in.

I went to Google Chrome, uninstalled it, re-installed and nothing happened. I went into Google and found plugins, but I do not know which one to put in that will take care of this matter.

I reported the issue to Facebook, and nothing has changed, and no one has contact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Always try to isolate the culprit/root cause so that if you are unable to fix it, you could look for a workaround.
In this scenario, if this is not a widely published issue where most everyone is having the problem, then the issue is pretty much isolated to you, or a few souls who had the same configuration same to yours.

Have you tried another browser? Internet Explorer, even if not most people's preference, serves as a good test browsers. See if it works with IE. If it did, then the problem is likely to be a bad plug-in for your preferred browser or a corrupt static data that is causing the problem with Facebook.

If it is indeed the browser, try deleting all your browser cache (CTRL+SHIFT+DEL)?
Then next step would be to uninstall/delete all installed plug-ins.
You can also manually hide the Chrome's "User Data" folder but make sure Chrome is not running:

Open Windows Explorer and in the address field on top, type: %localappdata%\Google\Chrome and hit ENTER. When it displays the contents of the above path, you should see a folder called "User Data".
Simply rename this folder to "Old User Data".

Then when you launch Chrome, it will re-create a fresh User Data folder and then check to see if you can access the site but you may have to reinstall the plug-ins fresh.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "... any figure I post, shows the image in Black of a plug-in".
Are you saying that when ever you post, it shows up as an image that is the one used by Chrome to represent a plug-in?

A more detailed subject line in the forum would get more people reading your post, and perhaps get more possible solutions.
Perhaps: "My Win7 Chrome doesn't show posts I make on Facebook, except as plug-in icon"

However, my best guess:
Your Chrome may be set up so that it doesn't allow some content to be displayed because they require Flash or java Script to work, unless you specifically allow it. It's a security measure, as older versions of flash have been hacked.

Check your Chrome // Settings // Advanced // Content Settings // Flash
Also check out Java Script in the same location.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Default Google Plug-ins

I reinstated Java Script, which I had deleted.......removed most of the plug-ins from Google, and still the Blackened figure of a plug-in in Facebook, continues. I cannot find where to update Google Chrome flash player, which I understand is part of G/C, and maybe the reason, because before I had no problems.

I tried Facebook on Microsoft Edge, and have no problems. Therefore, the problem is solely within G/C, but I do not like M/E because of all of the advertising, and jiggling that goes on in front of my eyes.

Anything else I should try with G/C? Thank you,

Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
If I were you, I'd try installing Firefox and see if it had the same problems.

If not, than you've isolated the problem with to gChrome, and you should uninstall and reinstall it.
If the problem persists, then you know it's something more with your Internet connection (Firewall maybe).

--- I've found it very convenient to have two different browsers installed. I personally prefer Firefox and use it 95%, but there are times when I need to be viewing a website logged on, and also logged off. So I log on with Fx and stay logged off with gChrome.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Lets do this.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Reset it to defaults.

download CCleaner.. run it. It will clean out any trash thats not needed and clean your cache.

Then do the above. .Reset to defaults to see if a virus or bug might changed some of your settings. You shouldnt need any "addons" for chrome. Firefox disables flash by default.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM

I did what Ed_RDNC and hitpausebutton2, said to do. No changes, the problem is still with Google Chrome. I have the Microsoft Edge Browser, and it works fine there, but, I do not like EDGE because of all the advertising jiggling in front of my eyes, and I suffer of Vertigo. The information from Turcoloco, which has been greatly appreciated, is way too advanced for me. I am a neonate on computers.

Now, I am going to try and install Firefox, and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers