Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
What about CCleaner? Does anyone use it? (separate subject, I know)
Yes, I do, and have done for many years.

A very useful utility kit, although there are many others that do a similar job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
CCleaner for anti-virus? Don't think so....

Old 04-26-2018, 02:34 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
CCleaner for anti-virus? Don't think so....
That's why in the post where I asked about it, I said "different subject." Shouldn't have put the question in an antivirus thread but wanted to catch the same audience.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:45 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Thank you for reminding me - I forgot about CCleaner. That's something else I need to download.

Thank you everyone, for your thoughts on this. I appreciate all the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and just download Malwarbytes then, activate Defender, and uninstall Avast.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
When you say "ads" do you mean those things that come on and say, "How about updating Avast to a better version (meaning paid)" or do you mean actual advvertisements that sometimes come on when you're loading some site or other. I've been getting those lately and wondering about them.
The first one. I use an ad blocker for the others.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Haven't installed any Antivirus for years and I am IT Security consultant. They don't work and slow down your computer.

If you know how viruses and hacks really work then you don't need an anti-virus they don't block everything that contains a virus that you click.

That's the trick, if you don't know what you've downloaded and the source is from a risky area then you're most likely going to get a virus.

A lot of viruses are variants they do not match from known virus signatures since somebody altered a few lines.

Browser based viruses are the most common these days injected by plugins and extensions. Don't install ones that doesn't have a valid certificate.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 AM

Can you give us some concrete examples and bits of advice about what exactly to avoid? I understand about all those "you have a new message from XX bank or company, click here to view" things. But what else? Shopping sites? Hard to avoid those if you want to live in today's world. Things on FB? When you say "plugins and extensions" what exactly do you mean? Non-techie talking here.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Can you give us some concrete examples and bits of advice about what exactly to avoid? I understand about all those "you have a new message from XX bank or company, click here to view" things. But what else? Shopping sites? Hard to avoid those if you want to live in today's world. Things on FB? When you say "plugins and extensions" what exactly do you mean? Non-techie talking here.

Non-techie here, too. I like to say I learned a lot about computers on my own, but that doesn't make me at all smart about them. What it does do is leave big holes in my understanding of computers. Some things I understand perfectly; other things I know absolutely nothing about.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Here's some help, since vision seems to be leaving you high and dry:

- you must download and install browser extensions. Don't. You probably don't need them. If you must have one, get it from a reputable source. If you don't know which sources are reputable, just stop and do nothing.
- websites: If you're looking for sketchy material such as p**n, you're looking for infection. Wh where links take you. You can usually see the link destination by mouse over and looking at the bottom of your browser. Chrome does this well.
- email is your biggest risk. Do not click on links in email unless you are absolutely sure of the source/sender, no matter how enticing it sounds. Delete strange emails, especially from people you know, that have links. If you get an email from a known legit business with a link, best to ignore the link and go direct to the business website.

Some of the above is to avoid "drive-by downloads". You can read more by searching for that term and going to the wikipedia entry.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:49 PM

OK I already do (or don't do) all of those things. So maybe I should be not so bad off. The only thing I don't really understand about is browser extensions - don't really know what they are - so I'm going onto Google to try and educate myself.

Tks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers