Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:08 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old desktop is finally starting to be more trouble than it’s worth. I use my desktop for phot editing and not too much more. I’d appreciate recommendions on what would be a good replacement. I won’t be gaming, but I will be driving two pretty big monitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 05:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My 10 year old desktop is finally starting to be more trouble than it’s worth. I use my desktop for phot editing and not too much more. I’d appreciate recommendions on what would be a good replacement. I won’t be gaming, but I will be driving two pretty big monitors.
What software do you plan to use to edit your photos?

Old 06-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What software do you plan to use to edit your photos?
Mostly lightroom with a little bit of photoshop.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Mostly lightroom with a little bit of photoshop.
I’ll leave it to others to recommend specific models, but make sure you get one with at least 12 GB of RAM or running Lightroom won’t be so much fun.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...uirements.html

Old 06-23-2018, 05:16 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
1. 27-inch iMac with 32GB memory (8 from Apple and the rest from a 3rd party).
2. Pixelmator Pro.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I’ll leave it to others to recommend specific models, but make sure you get one with at least 12 GB of RAM or running Lightroom won’t be so much fun.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/sy...uirements.html
Ok. Will make sure to get lots of RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. 27-inch iMac with 32GB memory (8 from Apple and the rest from a 3rd party).
2. Pixelmator Pro.
Thanks for the suggestion, but as far as I could tell Pixelmator pro isn’t really a Lightroom replacement. And I’m pretty happy with Lightroom. I looked into Macs, but they seemed way too expensive. The monitors are nice, but I’ve already got two nice monitors that cover a more useful color gamut.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:08 AM

21,866 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Depends on budget and how extensively you're photo editing. Are you applying lots of effects/layers to RAW photos or just doing simple things like adjusting white balance and running prebaked auto correction algorithms? If it's the latter, you don't really need anything fancy. The former can get more intensive.

Budget as well. Get either a Core i5 or i7 depending on budget, or AMD Ryzen 5/7. Skip the enthusiast chips like the i9 or Threadripper and the budget ones like i3 or Ryzen 3 (or lower).

RAM, get 16 GB. It's expensive but get 16 and not 8 if you can. Going up to 32 GB is really beneficial if you're doing heavy usage but otherwise not really worth the cost.

Get two SSDs, one to read from and one to write to. Speeds things up immensely, especially on faster systems. Get the largest ones you can budget for. Older SSDs like an Samsung EVO 850 if the price is right, otherwise 860. NVMe drives have come down in price but still are more expensive. They're generally not worth the extra cost to most people. Unless you just don't have a budget at all, skip Opatane. It's great. It's ludicrously expensive. You'll often find systems with conventional drives using small Optane (16 GB) scratch drives to speed up workflow. HHD + Optane is an option but it's not much faster than SSDs. If you want to spend a lot of time playing with a photo it's a bit faster than SSD, but then you need to write that to the HDD to move on to the next one. If you're spending 20 minutes editing a photo it makes sense. If you're just doing quick corrections not so much.

GPU acceleration helps, especially with heavier loads. Again, it's budget and what are you doing. There's very little benefit for something over a GTX 1060. At the same time, the integrated graphics have gotten better so there's very little benefit to something under GT 1030. If you're going to use multiple monitors, you'll likely need at least a GT 1030 as most motherboards do not support multiple displays. If you're on a tight budget and getting 16 GB of RAM and an i5, don't get a GTX 1060. Get a 1050 or 1050 Ti and put the money elsewhere. If you're using 10-bit monitors, Quadro. If not, Geforce.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-24-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 11:55 AM

295 posts, read 354,439 times
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...rformance-649/

That should give you an idea on what to shoot for. But basically LR is a bit all over the place on how it uses your hardware. For the CPU it looks like 4-8 cores is optimal and any more doesn't make that much difference. You should shoot for the highest frequency you can afford since many of the tasks are more cpu speed bound. A SSD for the OS and scratch drive should be a minimum with 16gb RAM and dedicated GPU being highly recommended.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Give us a budget and we can be much more helpful.

Agree with jtva BUT the SSD is probably the least important thing.
Processor, Graphics card and RAM being far more important.

Here's one for a under a grand,
CLICK ME!

I know you said you don't need a gaming machine. But if you're seriously into Lightroom and use it a lot you would be well served to get one.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Give us a budget and we can be much more helpful.

Agree with jtva BUT the SSD is probably the least important thing.
Processor, Graphics card and RAM being far more important.

Here's one for a under a grand,
CLICK ME!

I know you said you don't need a gaming machine. But if you're seriously into Lightroom and use it a lot you would be well served to get one.
I don’t I’d realistically spend more than $1500. I just don’t want to spend up to that budget if the difference is marginal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers