Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,702,692 times

Advertisements

A relative of an acquaintance had a fire in their house recently. House burned down and person badly injured. Investigation found the fire started from a modem.

I think most people have the modem on 24 hours a day. With this fire risk in mind, would it be a good idea to unplug the modem when not using or when one is not at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
I was at friends house the day after they returned from a vacation, it was in the morning and his Mother was having breakfast with some other relatives. She comes out of the house yelling the toaster oven was on fire, I removed it for her using some oven mitts. They weren't even using it and if it had happened the day before the house probably would have burned.

Anything is potentially a fire hazard if it's plugged in, especially if it's on. I would suggest modems are way down the list of hazards. If it makes you feel safe and it's not a huge inconvenience go for it.

I've had a major house fire myself caused by an electric short in the wiring in the wall. I won't be turning my modem off other than for extended vacation.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Knowing the appliance that is the starting point of a fire is not yet knowing the CAUSE of the fire. The only flammable part of my toaster would be bread crumb build-up. a short would trip a breaker or melt into open circuit. Similarly, most appliances -including modems - have little or no flammable material in them. The greater danger is from lack of proper air circulation and junk around them. A modem half covered in papers might be the heat source, but the combination of heat source and fuel is needed for a conflagration.

When I was growing up it was standard operating procedure to unplug the tv when a lightning storm threatened. We don't recognize incoming data lines as potential antennas unless the shield is properly grounded as discussed elsewhere in the forum. I don't feel the need to disconnect my satellite modem, but it is properly bonded to ground and sits free standing on a metal filing cabinet. It is part of my security setup, and the risks from disconnection more likely than any fire risk.

What I AM anal about is unplugging anything with a lithium battery connected to a charger. No tablet, phone, or laptop is charged if I am not around.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Knowing the appliance that is the starting point of a fire is not yet knowing the CAUSE of the fire. The only flammable part of my toaster would be bread crumb build-up.

Harry I was there and I can tell you it was something in the electric components around the switch or whatever that caught fire. This wasn't a fire inside the oven part itself and as I said they were not using it when this occurred, it was dark black smoke indicating something plastic caught fire inside. This occurred 20 years ago and the toaster oven may have been 10 or 20 years old at the time.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
https://www.thesilverlining.com/west...se-house-fires

Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
No.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Our old modem smelled like it was burning inside, but it didn't catch on fire.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:54 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Interesting, Coalman. Of that vintage, bakelite and mica and asbestos and braided (glass?) insulation were common. Experience trumps speculation, any idea what you think might have caught fire?

phetaroi, good link. I particularly liked "Never leave a toaster unsupervised." It creates images in my mind of the toaster as a child, torturing the blender when your back is turned.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,639,401 times
There should not be anything in the control area of the toaster oven except bakelite and mica and asbestos and braided fiberglass insulation. Makes me wonder if it was something that erroneously got left in there during assembly, or if the company took shortcuts during manufacture after getting UL approval.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Interesting, Coalman. Of that vintage, bakelite and mica and asbestos and braided (glass?) insulation were common. Experience trumps speculation, any idea what you think might have caught fire?

No idea Harry, I don't think anyone ever looked. I was too busy basking in the praise. When this occurred she was so freaked out she couldn't even remember my name and yelled "Boy, Fire!". I just happened to be out in the front yard because that was the gathering spot for various things we used to do. I just calmly went into the kitchen and grabbed the oven mitts, pulled the plug and took it right out the kitchen door.

I realize it's unlikely event but **** happens, perhaps something got down in the controls. Mice would be common problem where they lived, perhaps one got in there and chewed something up. I found a mouse once inside a light fixture that electrocuted itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers