Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 10:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Not long ago, I needed to buy a new printer, my old Epson WF was having problems, seems like it was always needing ink cartridges, so I looked around extensively at printers, I read about Laser jets and eventually got an HP model from Best buy. It was a great buy, around $150. and the toner cartridge it comes with is good for about 2000 pages.

The quality of print is very good too, looks nothing like the garbage Inkjet printers put out.

I was a bit concerned at first that I may not print enough to warrant a Laser jet, but as I read more, I found that really doesnt apply, the toner uses what is basically ink dust, so even if you only print 10 pages per week, you can turn the printer off when not using and nothing will go bad or deteriorate from 'not enough use'

The only catch is (if you want to call it that), Laser jet for home use is really only practical in B&W, there are color Laser jets, but they are pretty expensive for the home user, although if someone wants color, a laser jet color printer may still be worth the cost, it just depends on what you want.

The cheapest Laser jet I saw was a Canon B&W for $88.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not long ago, I needed to buy a new printer, my old Epson WF was having problems, seems like it was always needing ink cartridges, so I looked around extensively at printers, I read about Laser jets and eventually got an HP model from Best buy. It was a great buy, around $150. and the toner cartridge it comes with is good for about 2000 pages.

The quality of print is very good too, looks nothing like the garbage Inkjet printers put out.

I was a bit concerned at first that I may not print enough to warrant a Laser jet, but as I read more, I found that really doesnt apply, the toner uses what is basically ink dust, so even if you only print 10 pages per week, you can turn the printer off when not using and nothing will go bad or deteriorate from 'not enough use'

The only catch is (if you want to call it that), Laser jet for home use is really only practical in B&W, there are color Laser jets, but they are pretty expensive for the home user, although if someone wants color, a laser jet color printer may still be worth the cost, it just depends on what you want.

You would quickly make up the difference in ink costs alone. Inkjet printers are better at printing photos on photo paper but for everything else, a laser wins.

PS. Amazon has some pretty good prices on generic toners.

Last edited by gguerra; 10-28-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 AM

451 posts, read 423,547 times
Same with me. I quit messing with those inkjets 6 years ago. Got a HP laserjet 1018. Yeah its black and white only but like you mention quality is better. If I would ever need color just go to a copy shop and pay for copies.

Cartridge easy to change and cheap. And is very reliable.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
I have several laser printers in my house, and only 1 inkjet. Once I started going to color laser it was no turning back.

What helped was in having great pictures taken on my iPhone which meant a different way of consuming them (i.e. texting to share as opposed to printing and viewing). No more big use case for ink.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:50 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
You get what you pay for with both inkjet and laser printers. Each have their pros and cons. A modern inkjet can be faster and cheaper thank a laserjet -- especially for color prints. Pricing changes a bit if you are using remanufactured cartridges or refilling yourself.

For most people, a cheap laser printer will do since they don't need speed and can get away with black and white.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:00 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I think I got my first color laser back in '95 or '96. It was a used Lexmark taken from an office and refurbed. That thing was a monster. Next was an OKI N-500, which used a gloss toner that was great for making flyers and point of sale material that had impact. The latest is a Brother Laser multifunction unit. I went around to all the various places that sold printers and had test pages printed. Brother came out best, with HP a good second place. Epson and Canon just didn't make the grade. Colors were off and cost seemed high.

A big difference between laser and ink jet is that toner is generally a pigment, whereas ink is a dye. Inkjet prints will fade, and depending on the dyes used can look funky in some artificial lighting conditions. I also have a Brother ink jet multifunction printer. I get the carts from LD Products (I get toner from them as well). A trick on the Brother carts is there is a little window at the back of the cart that tells the printer if the ink is low. Take the cart that you haven't used much, shake it to coat the window and re-insert. It'll ask if you changed the cart, and you go "Why yes I did, thank you for asking!"

I used to spec the Brother basic laser printer for the reporting function of my program. Customers were almost universally pleased. I've got one of those around as well, but it is in a snit right now and about to get tossed if it doesn't start behaving.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:39 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
For what little printing I do the scanner/inkjet works fine. I use it as a scanner more than a printer.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:53 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Do not buy a Canon inkjet for sure. They are paper jamming dudes.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:22 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
I must have a laser printer that is 10 or 15 years old. It still prints but finding cartages could be a problem so I bought several in case the cartages ever go obsolete. A cartage can probably last me several years.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Thumbs up sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

So very happy to have found your post. I have a H/P, 4620, injet, that I am still trying to learn how to operate it. The laser one sounds great to me.....thank you for your post.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers