Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 12:45 PM

388 posts, read 327,044 times

Advertisements

About a week ago, two of my USB 3.0 ports weren't working and I was not able to connect via Ethernet. I have my home-built PC, badged the Preston Television Computer, next to my TV in the living room. Since the router is right behind the TV rack, I thought I might make a hard-wire connection right there with a CAT 5 cable and get faster video streaming and save money on a new Wi-Fi adapter too boot.

I went into Win7 DM and found there were driver issues. I tried automatically searching for drivers but no dice. I made a claim against Asurion for this 3.50 year-old Gigabyte mobo which I had a 4-year plan for. They gave me a prepaid shipping label. I pulled the mobo out and packaged it up for shipping and put it in my car for taking to UPS Store the following morning. Asurion was to reimburse me for the original price of the mobo upon receipt. I then went online to shop for a mobo replacement. Much trouble. I use Windows 7 and an older AMD processor, Athlon II with AM3+/AMD socket requirements that my 2017 Gigabyte motherboard had. There is nothing new my mobo makers to meet this requirement any more. The old compatible boards now on the market are sued/refurbished ones or a some old-stock new ones that are expensive. I then thought about going to Gigabyte sight for driver support. Sure enough, they had my drivers so I downloaded them and put them on USB stick. I decided to keep my mobo and put it back in the TV pc. It then worked fine after all the drivers were updated.

Now, since two days ago, my EVGA PSU in that same machine is on the fritz so please see my thread on that one.

Note: when I had pulled my CPU off the board to return it, the AMD heat sink and fan unit did not come off easily. I had to work it like a dentist pulling a tooth. It came off along with the CPU still attached to and the socket pin lever still in the locked position. I bent a few CPU pins along the edges but managed to carefully straighten them out with a flat-tip jeweler's screwdriver and a jeweler's loupe. The CPU would then go back into the socket easily with the arrows lined up and the reassembled PC would then boot and run normally to my delight. I tend to use too much thermal goop when installing heat sinks. I had bought this AMD processor new in 2009 and reused it when the mobo was replaced in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers